VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
VDC test kit slider
sperti-banner

Vitamin D toxicity is rare, and usually a result of accidental overdosing, according to recent study

Posted on: January 24, 2018   by  Vitamin D Council

img

Interest in vitamin D supplementation and testing has increased over the last few decades. Therefore, it’s only rational for concerns over toxicity and side effects to increase as well. A 16-year retrospective study evaluated the vitamin D status of patients at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC) to determine the risk of toxicity.

Researchers studied a total of 73,779 hospital patients and analyzed 127,932 serum blood samples to determine 25(OH)D status. For individuals with vitamin D levels above 120 ng/ml (300 nmol/l), or who displayed signs and symptoms of hypercalcemia, detailed medical reviews were conducted. Signs and symptoms of hypercalcemia were defined as excessive thirst, excessive urination, decreased appetite, vomiting, constipation, abdominal pain, renal failure, and/or failure to thrive.

This is what the researchers found:

  • Only 1.05% of the participants had vitamin D levels above 80 ng/ml (200 nmol/l).
  • Only 0.12% had levels that exceeded 120 ng/ml (300 nmol/l).
  • Four patients showed symptoms of vitamin D toxicity, and three of these cases were caused by mistaken overdosing of liquid vitamin D supplements.
  • The last case of toxicity was allegedly due to daily supplementation of 1,000 IU, but the researchers flagged this case for potentially inaccurate history.

The researchers concluded,

“Symptomatic vitamin D toxicity is uncommon, and elevated levels of 25(OH)D do not strongly correlate with clinical symptoms or total serum/plasma calcium levels. Our study highlights the potential risks of the liquid formulation of vitamin D.”

Source

Lee J.P., et al. Vitamin D Toxicity: A 16-Year Retrospective Study at an Academic Medical Center. Laboratory Medicine, 2018.

1 Response to Vitamin D toxicity is rare, and usually a result of accidental overdosing, according to recent study

  1. joukotsuhonen@gmail.com

    I am male, 68. On January 12, 2018, I got my blood tested. My 25-OH-D total was 320 nmol/L (128 ng/ml). Only sign of this ‘exceeded level’ is my failure to thrive. – I was taking 5000 IU / day. Otherwise, all in all, I feel great. I have stopped taking vitamin D. How soon should/could I be down to 100-200 nmol/L (40-80 ng/ml), the optimal level for a healthy person? When or how soon should I do the blood spot test again?

Test Your Vitamin D Levels at Home!

Our in-home Vitamin D Test Kit is easy, affordable, and an accurate way to find out your Vitamin D status.

order NOW

We need your help!

We're spreading awareness on Vitamin D Deficiency
Donate NOW
Latest Articles
img
Low vitamin D status may affect menstrual cycle length in women

A recent study determined that lower vitamin D levels are associated with a nearly 3 times increased risk of longer menstrual cycles.

Weekly Newsletter