10,000 iu for months put me at 40.7 ng/mL 25(OH) D. 15,000 iu for a month and half thereafter put me at 58.2 ng/mL (both taken with 100 ug Vit K). So in theory I am now in the "optimal range" according to the Vitamin D council. I have two problems with this: 1. does it make sense that I need so much Vitamin D when the D council recommends a 5000 iu (and max 10,000 iu) daily dose? 2. I am pretty sure I was starting the feel toxic effects (basically all the symptoms you have listed for hypercalcemia). Could I really be experiencing toxicity when my 25(OH) D levels look optimal (and way below 150 ng/mL)? Maybe it is something else or psychosomatic… I am definitely going back down again, but curious as to what might have been happening. Thanks for any information!

Asked by  coldfact on October 23, 2014

• Jeff Nicklas
    Keymaster
     Jeff Nicklas on

Coldfact,

As everyone is different, some people may need to take more or less vitamin D in order to bring levels into the healthy range. It may just be that you need to take more vitamin D to reach sufficiency.

That being said, anything above 10,000 IU/day is not recommended and if you want to continue supplementing with more than that, it is best to be under the supervision of a doctor.

When you take too much vitamin D, it can raise your calcium levels to the too-high range. Thus, if you think you’ve taken too much vitamin D it is may be best to measure both your vitamin D and calcium levels.

Answered by  Jeff Nicklas on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions