Reply To: I am in my 6th week of taking 10,000iu for vitamin D deficiency. My level was 28ng/ml. I have symptoms of depression and muscle weakness. How long of supplementing until I feel relieved of my symptoms?
Well you may be right in the fact that it cannot be rushed and you have made progress. The only thing I can tell you is the following. A blood level up to 150ng/ml is safe. The safe upper limit to take that is “presently recognized” is 10,000iu. We do know that you would have to take 40,000iu every day for several months to probably/maybe become toxic. If I remember correctly, there have never been any reports of people dying from a Vitamin D overdose and if you overdose and then stop taking all Vitamin D for however long it takes, you return to “normal” and have no ill effects.
The symptoms of overdose are the same as the one’s listed for hypercalcemia above.