VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
VDC test kit slider
sunfriend-banner
sperti-banner

New study suggests link between low vitamin D status and increased risk of ovarian cancer

Posted on: February 27, 2017   by  Amber Tovey

img

A study found that low vitamin D levels were associated with a higher ROMA score, an indicator of increased risk for developing ovarian cancer, among obese women.

Ovarian cancer ranks fifth in cancer deaths among women. Approximately one out of 75 women develop ovarian cancer during their lifetime. Due to the high prevalence and mortality rate of ovarian cancer, researchers and scientists have been desperately searching for treatments and screening tests for early detection. It can strike women as young as 18.

The Risk of Ovarian Malignancy Algorithm (ROMA) offers a reliable screening test, combining the measurements of two serum biomarkers (CA-125 and human epididymis protein 4, HE4) with menopausal status to predict the risk for developing epithelial ovarian cancer. According to a clinical trial of 472 patients with pelvic masses, ROMA has a sensitivity of 93.8% in detecting ovarian cancer.

Previous research has suggested vitamin D may play a role in the prevention and protection of ovarian cancer. In addition, a 2016 study determined that those who were genetically predisposed to low vitamin D levels also experienced higher risk of developing ovarian cancer.

In a recent study, researchers evaluated the vitamin D levels and ROMA scores among 260 women. The analysis divided the women into two groups, group 1 included women considered obese and group 2 included the women considered overweight or normal weight.

As expected, the researchers found low vitamin D status was significantly associated with obesity (p < 0.001). This association has been clearly established through past research. The reasoning for this is quite simple; fat stores vitamin D, reducing its bioavailability. High ROMA scores were only detected in obese women. The researchers discovered that the majority of obese women with high ROMA scores (64%) also had insufficient levels of vitamin D (< 20.2 ng/ml), leaving only 36% of obese women with high ROMA scores to be considered vitamin D sufficient (p < 0.0001).

The researchers concluded,

“This study suggests that the deficiency of 25- OH vitamin D in obese women has a possible correlation with high ROMA score.”

As always, observational studies leave the question of whether the relationship observed, in this case, vitamin D and ROMA scores, is attributed to solely vitamin D or sun exposure. This cannot be determined until randomized controlled trials are conducted.

Citation

Tovey, A. & Cannell, JJ. New study suggests link between low vitamin D status and increased risk of ovarian cancer. The Vitamin D Council Blog & Newsletter, February 2, 2017.

Source

Anastasi, E. et al. Assessing the association between 25-OH vitamin D levels and ROMA score in a population of obese women. Journal of Biological Regulators & Homeostatic Agents, 2016.

2 Responses to New study suggests link between low vitamin D status and increased risk of ovarian cancer

  1. hlahore@gmail.com

    10 previous studies have found an association between low vitamin D and Ovarian Cancer, and not in just obese women. http://vitamindwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page_id=5511

    Note: there is a 5.8 X increase in the risk of getting Ovarian Cancer if you have a poor Vitamin D Receptor gene. Poor Receptors can be minimized in 6 ways. http://vitamindwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page_id=4142

  2. akpprotocols

    An incredible feeling that I’m no longer have a fear of the disease or cancer anymore. I firmly believe in the power of Vitamin D.

Test Your Vitamin D Levels at Home!

Our in-home Vitamin D Test Kit is easy, affordable, and an accurate way to find out your Vitamin D status.

order NOW

We need your help!

We're spreading awareness on Vitamin D Deficiency
Donate NOW
Latest Articles
img
Are athletes realizing the importance of vitamin D before the general public?

A recent study found that the vast majority of NHL players have healthy vitamin D levels, with none of the players being considered deficient.

Weekly Newsletter