- Vitamin D Council >
Vitamin D Council Glossary
There are 7 terms for the letter 'B'.
- B-lymphocytes (B-cells.B-cell,B-lymphocyte)
- B-cells are lymphocytes that play a large role in the humoral immune response. They are the surveillance cells of the immune system that circulate in the blood and lymph, making antibodies to invading pathogens when activated.
- The isomeric form of carotene that is widely distributed in nature and most efficiently converted to vitamin A by the body. Beta-carotene can safely be taken in large amounts as residual beta-carotene is quickly eliminated by the body.
- BioMed Central (BMC)
- An online journal that publishes peer-reviewed research across all areas of biology and medicine.
- Bolus dose
- An amount of IV medication administered rapidly to decrease the response time or to be used as a loading dose.
- Bone mineral content (BMC,Bone mass)
- The bone measurement used in growth studies and the single most important determinant of the risk of fracture. Bone minerals, also called salts, consist essentially of hydroxylapatite, carbon dioxide, and water, with small amounts of other ions.
- Bone mineral density (BMD)
- Measurement of the amount of calcium in bone.
- Bone resorption
- Removal of osseous tissue by osteoclasts. Bone resorption can be part of the normal balance of bone resorption and deposition, or part of a pathologic process.