An introduction to Cardiovascular diseasesHow does vitamin D work?
There are a number of mechanisms whereby vitamin D could reduce the risk of CVD. These mechanisms include the inhibition of vascular smooth muscle proliferation, the suppression of vascular calcification, reduction of inflammation, and reduction of blood pressure1. Each is discussed briefly:
Inhibition of vascular smooth muscle proliferation
Suppression of vascular calcification
Reduction of inflammation
Reduction of blood pressure
Page last edited: 04 May 2011
- Zittermann, A. Schleithoff, S. S. Koerfer, R. Putting cardiovascular disease and vitamin D insufficiency into perspective. Br J Nutr. 2005 Oct; 94 (4): 483-92.
- Chen, S. Law, C. S. Gardner, D. G. Vitamin D-dependent suppression of endothelin-induced vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation through inhibition of CDK2 activity. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2010 Feb 15; 118 (3): 135-41.
- Johnson, R. C. Leopold, J. A. Loscalzo, J. Vascular calcification: pathobiological mechanisms and clinical implications. Circ Res. 2006 Nov 10; 99 (10): 1044-59.
- London, G. M. Guerin, A. P. Verbeke, F. H. Pannier, B. Boutouyrie, P. Marchais, S. J. Metivier, F. Mineral metabolism and arterial functions in end-stage renal disease: potential role of 25-hydroxyvitamin D deficiency. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007 Feb; 18 (2): 613-20.
- Mizobuchi, M. Ogata, H. Koiwa, F. Kinugasa, E. Akizawa, T. Vitamin D and vascular calcification in chronic kidney disease. Bone. 2009 Jul; 45 Suppl 1S26-9.
- Takasu, H. Anti-osteoclastogenic action of active vitamin D. Nutr Rev. 2008 Oct; 66 (10 Suppl 2): S113-5.
- Dusso, A. Arcidiacono, M. V. Yang, J. Tokumoto, M. Vitamin D inhibition of TACE and prevention of renal osteodystrophy and cardiovascular mortality. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2010 Jul; 121 (1-2): 193-8.
- Lappe J M et al Vitamin D status in a rural postmenopausal female population. J Am Coll Nutr. 2006 Oct; 25 (5): 395-402.
- Okazaki R et al Vitamin D insufficiency defined by serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and parathyroid hormone before and after oral vitamin D(3) load in Japanese subjects. J Bone Miner Metab. 2010 Jun; 22
- Walker, M. D. et al. Carotid vascular abnormalities in primary hyperparathyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009 Oct; 94 (10): 3849-56.
- Snijder, M. B. et al Vitamin D status and parathyroid hormone levels in relation to blood pressure: a population-based study in older men and women. J Intern Med. 2007 Jun; 261 (6): 558-65.
- Hypponen, E. Boucher, B. J. Berry, D. J. Power, C. 25-hydroxyvitamin D, IGF-1, and metabolic syndrome at 45 years of age: a cross-sectional study in the 1958 British Birth Cohort. Diabetes. 2008 Feb; 57 (2): 298-305.
- Lowe, G. D. Danesh, J. Lewington, S. Walker, M. Lennon, L. Thomson, A. Rumley, A. Whincup, P. H. Tissue plasminogen activator antigen and coronary heart disease. Prospective study and meta-analysis. Eur Heart J. 2004 Feb; 25 (3): 252-9.
- Diaz, L et al. Calcitriol inhibits TNF-alpha-induced inflammatory cytokines in human trophoblasts. J Reprod Immunol. 2009 Jul; 81 (8): 17-24.
- Timms, P. M. Mannan, N. Hitman, G. A. Noonan, K. Mills, P. G. Syndercombe-Court, D. Aganna, E. Price, C. P. Boucher, B. J. Circulating MMP9, vitamin D and variation in the TIMP-1 response with VDR genotype: mechanisms for inflammatory damage in chronic disorders?. QJM. 2002 Dec; 95 (12): 787-96.
- Derosa, G. D'Angelo, A. Scalise, F. Avanzini, M. A. Tinelli, C. Peros, E. Fogari, E. Cicero, A. F. Comparison between metalloproteinases-2 and -9 in healthy subjects, diabetics, and subjects with acute coronary syndrome. Heart Vessels. 2007 Nov; 22 (6): 361-70.
- Welsh, P. Whincup, P. H. Papacosta, O. Wannamethee, S. G. Lennon, L. Thomson, A. Rumley, A. Lowe, G. D. Serum matrix metalloproteinase-9 and coronary heart disease: a prospective study in middle-aged men. QJM. 2008 Oct; 101 (10): 785-91.
- Laxton, R. C. Hu, Y. Duchene, J. Zhang, F. Zhang, Z. Leung, K. Y. Xiao, Q. Scotland, R. S. Hodgkinson, C. P. Smith, K. Willeit, J. Lopez-Otin, C. Simpson, I. A. Kiechl, S. Ahluwalia, A. Xu, Q. Ye, S. A role of matrix metalloproteinase-8 in atherosclerosis. Circ Res. 2009 Oct 23; 105 (9): 921-9.
- Mallat, Z. Matrix metalloproteinase-8 and the regulation of blood pressure, vascular inflammation, and atherosclerotic lesion growth. Circ Res. 2009 Oct 23; 105 (9): 827-9.
- Alsafwah, S. Laguardia, S. P. Arroyo, M. Dockery, B. K. Bhattacharya, S. K. Ahokas, R. A. Newman, K. P. Congestive heart failure is a systemic illness: a role for minerals and micronutrients. Clin Med Res. 2007 Dec; 5 (4): 238-43.
- Gupta, R. Sharma, U. Gupta, N. Kalaivani, M. Singh, U. Guleria, R. Jagannathan, N. R. Goswami, R. Effect of cholecalciferol and calcium supplementation on muscle strength and energy metabolism in vitamin D deficient Asian Indians: A randomized controlled trial. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2010 Apr 23;
- Visvanathan, R. Chapman, I. Preventing sarcopaenia in older people. Maturitas. 2010 Aug; 66 (4): 383-8.
- Schubert, L. DeLuca, H. F. Hypophosphatemia is responsible for skeletal muscle weakness of vitamin D deficiency. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2010 Aug 15; 500 (2): 157-61.
- Weber, K. T. Weglicki, W. B. Simpson, R. U. Macro- and micronutrient dyshomeostasis in the adverse structural remodelling of myocardium. Cardiovasc Res. 2009 Feb 15; 81 (3): 500-8.