A recent study found increased survival Non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) rate for those with higher serum 25(OH)D levels at time of diagnosis:
Patients and methods: We tested the hypothesis that circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] levels are predictive of event-free survival (EFS) and overall survival (OS) in a prospective cohort of 983 newly diagnosed patients with NHL. 25(OH)D and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D [1,25(OH)(2)D] levels were measured by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry.
Results: Mean age at diagnosis was 62 years (range, 19 to 94 years); 44% of patients had insufficient 25(OH)D levels (1.
However, there is a caveat in treating those with NHL with vitamin D: risk of hypercalcemia.
About 15% of those diagnosed with NHL develop hypecalcemia, which can lead to metastasis of the cancer to the bones2 3 4. As elevated 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D [1,25(OH)2D] level is also a risk factor for hypercalcemia5 and higher 25(OH)D levels can lead to higher 1,25(OH)2D levels6, those diagnosed with NHL and treated with vitamin D should have their serum 1,25(OH)2D and calcium levels checked.
Page last edited: 03 May 2011
- Drake, M. T. Maurer, M. J. Link, B. K. Habermann, T. M. Ansell, S. M. Micallef, I. N. Kelly, J. L. Macon, W. R. Nowakowski, G. S. Inwards, D. J. Johnston, P. B. Singh, R. J. Allmer, C. Slager, S. L. Weiner, G. J. Witzig, T. E. Cerhan, J. R. Vitamin D insufficiency and prognosis in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. J Clin Oncol. 2010 Sep 20; 28 (27): 4191-8.
- Lumachi, F. Brunello, A. Roma, A. Basso, U. Cancer-induced hypercalcemia. Anticancer Res. 2009 May; 29 (5): 1551-5.
- Sargent, J. T. Smith, O. P. Haematological emergencies managing hypercalcaemia in adults and children with haematological disorders. Br J Haematol. 2010 May; 149 (4): 465-77.
- Seymour, J. F. Gagel, R. F. Hagemeister, F. B. Dimopoulos, M. A. Cabanillas, F. Calcitriol production in hypercalcemic and normocalcemic patients with non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Ann Intern Med. 1994 Nov 1; 121 (9): 633-40.
- Pecherstorfer, M. Brenner, K. Zojer, N. Current management strategies for hypercalcemia. Treat Endocrinol. 2003; 2 (4): 273-92.
- Need, A. G. Horowitz, M. Morris, H. A. Nordin, B. C. Vitamin D status: effects on parathyroid hormone and 1, 25-dihydroxyvitamin D in postmenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr. 2000 Jun; 71 (6): 1577-81.