Donate $100 or more...
...and receive an autographed and dedicated copy of Dr. Cannell's new book.
This evidence summary was prepared by:
William B. Grant, Ph.D.
Sunlight, Nutrition, and Health Research Center (SUNARC)
P.O. Box 641603
San Francisco, CA 94164-1603, USA
The summary was reviewed by:
Katherine D. Crew
Complete bibliography of research used in this summary
We found a significant body of evidence when researching the role of vitamin D in breast cancer. The research we have cited in our summary is listed below, with links to PubMed abstracts and full-text for those who wish to explore further.
Page last edited: 22 August 2011
- Abbas, S. Chang-Claude, J. Linseisen, J. Plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D and premenopausal breast cancer risk in a German case-control study. Int J Cancer. 2009 Jan 1; 124 (1): 250-5.
- Abbas, S. Linseisen, J. Slanger, T. Kropp, S. Mutschelknauss, E. J. Flesch-Janys, D. Chang-Claude, J. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and risk of post-menopausal breast cancer--results of a large case-control study. Carcinogenesis. 2008 Jan; 29 (1): 93-9.
- Abbas, S. Linseisen, J. Slanger, T. Kropp, S. Mutschelknauss, E. J. Flesch-Janys, D. Chang-Claude, J. The Gc2 allele of the vitamin D binding protein is associated with a decreased postmenopausal breast cancer risk, independent of the vitamin D status. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008 Jun; 17 (6): 1339-43.
- Almquist, M. Bondeson, A. G. Bondeson, L. Malm, J. Manjer, J. Serum levels of vitamin D, PTH and calcium and breast cancer risk-a prospective nested case-control study. Int J Cancer. 2010 Nov 1; 127 (9): 2159-68.
- Anderson, L. N. Cotterchio, M. Vieth, R. Knight, J. A. Vitamin D and calcium intakes and breast cancer risk in pre- and postmenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 Jun; 91 (6): 1699-707.
- Anderson, L. N. Cotterchio, M. Kirsh, V. A. Knight, J. A. Ultraviolet Sunlight Exposure During Adolescence and Adulthood and Breast Cancer Risk: A Population-based Case-Control Study Among Ontario Women. Am J Epidemiol. 2011 Aug 1; 174 (3): 293-304.
- Armstrong, B. Doll, R. Environmental factors and cancer incidence and mortality in different countries, with special reference to dietary practices. Int J Cancer. 1975 Apr 15; 15 (4): 617-31.
- Bertone-Johnson, E. R. Vitamin D and breast cancer. Ann Epidemiol. 2009 Jul; 19 (7): 462-7.
- Bertone-Johnson, E. R. Chen, W. Y. Holick, M. F. Hollis, B. W. Colditz, G. A. Willett, W. C. Hankinson, S. E. Plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D and risk of breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005 Aug; 14 (8): 1991-7.
- Blackmore, K. M. Lesosky, M. Barnett, H. Raboud, J. M. Vieth, R. Knight, J. A. Vitamin D From Dietary Intake and Sunlight Exposure and the Risk of Hormone-Receptor-Defined Breast Cancer. Am J Epidemiol. 2010;
- Chen, P. Hu, P. Xie, D. Qin, Y. Wang, F. Wang, H. Meta-analysis of vitamin D, calcium and the prevention of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010 Jun; 121 (2): 469-77.
- Chen, W. Clements, M. Rahman, B. Zhang, S. Qiao, Y. Armstrong, B. K. Relationship between cancer mortality/incidence and ambient ultraviolet B irradiance in China. Cancer Causes Control. 2010 Jun 16;
- Colston, K. W. Berger, U. Coombes, R. C. Possible role for vitamin D in controlling breast cancer cell proliferation. Lancet. 1989 Jan 28; 1 (8631): 188-91.
- Coombs, N. J. Cronin, K. A. Taylor, R. J. Freedman, A. N. Boyages, J. The impact of changes in hormone therapy on breast cancer incidence in the US population. Cancer Causes Control. 2010 Jan; 21 (1): 83-90.
- Crew, K. D. Gammon, M. D. Steck, S. E. Hershman, D. L. Cremers, S. Dworakowski, E. Shane, E. Terry, M. B. Desai, M. Teitelbaum, S. L. Neugut, A. I. Santella, R. M. Association between plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D and breast cancer risk. Cancer Prev Res (Phila Pa). 2009 Jun; 2 (6): 598-604.
- Crew, K. D. Shane, E. Cremers, S. McMahon, D. J. Irani, D. Hershman, D. L. High prevalence of vitamin D deficiency despite supplementation in premenopausal women with breast cancer undergoing adjuvant chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol. 2009 May 1; 27 (13): 2151-6.
- Engel, P. Fagherazzi, G. Mesrine, S. Boutron-Ruault, M. C. Clavel-Chapelon, F. Joint Effects of Dietary Vitamin D and Sun Exposure on Breast Cancer Risk: Results from the French E3N Cohort. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2011 Jan; 20 (1): 187-98.
- Freedman, D. M. Chang, S. C. Falk, R. T. Purdue, M. P. Huang, W. Y. McCarty, C. A. Hollis, B. W. Graubard, B. I. Berg, C. D. Ziegler, R. G. Serum levels of vitamin D metabolites and breast cancer risk in the prostate, lung, colorectal, and ovarian cancer screening trial. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008 Apr; 17 (4): 889-94.
- Freedman, D. M. Dosemeci, M. McGlynn, K. Sunlight and mortality from breast, ovarian, colon, prostate, and non-melanoma skin cancer: a composite death certificate based case-control study. Occup Environ Med. 2002 Apr; 59 (4): 257-62.
- Gandini, S. Boniol, M. Haukka, J. Byrnes, G. Cox, B. Sneyd, M. J. Mullie, P. Autier, P. Meta-analysis of observational studies of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and colorectal, breast and prostate cancer and colorectal adenoma. Int J Cancer. 2010 May 6;
- Garland, C. F. Gorham, E. D. Mohr, S. B. Garland, F. C. Vitamin D for cancer prevention: global perspective. Ann Epidemiol. 2009 Jul; 19 (7): 468-83.
- Garland, F. C. Garland, C. F. Gorham, E. D. Young, J. F. Geographic variation in breast cancer mortality in the United States: a hypothesis involving exposure to solar radiation. Prev Med. 1990 Nov; 19 (6): 614-22.
- Giovannucci, E. Vitamin D and cancer incidence in the Harvard cohorts. Ann Epidemiol. 2009 Feb; 19 (2): 84-8.
- Gissel, T. Rejnmark, L. Mosekilde, L. Vestergaard, P. Intake of vitamin D and risk of breast cancer--a meta-analysis. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2008 Sep; 111 (3-5): 195-9.
- Goodwin, P. J. Ennis, M. Pritchard, K. I. Koo, J. Hood, N. Frequency of vitamin D (Vit D) deficiency at breast cancer (BC) diagnosis and association with risk of distant recurrence and death in a prospective cohort study of T1-3, N0-1, M0 BC. J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26 (May 20 suppl): abstr 511.
- Goodwin, P. J. Ennis, M. Pritchard, K. I. Koo, J. Hood, N. Prognostic effects of 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in early breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2009 Aug 10; 27 (23): 3757-63.
- Gorham, E. D. Garland, F. C. Garland, C. F. Sunlight and breast cancer incidence in the USSR. Int J Epidemiol. 1990 Dec; 19 (4): 820-4.
- Grant, W. B. An estimate of premature cancer mortality in the U.S. due to inadequate doses of solar ultraviolet-B radiation. Cancer. 2002 Mar 15; 94 (6): 1867-75.
- Grant, W. B. An ecologic study of dietary and solar ultraviolet-B links to breast carcinoma mortality rates. Cancer. 2002 Jan 1; 94 (1): 272-81.
- Grant, W. B. Lower vitamin-D production from solar ultraviolet-B irradiance may explain some differences in cancer survival rates. J Natl Med Assoc. 2006 Mar; 98 (3): 357-64.
- Grant, W. B. An ecologic study of cancer mortality rates in Spain with respect to indices of solar UVB irradiance and smoking. Int J Cancer. 2007 Mar 1; 120 (5): 1123-8.
- Grant, W. B. How strong is the evidence that solar ultraviolet B and vitamin D reduce the risk of cancer? An examination using Hill’s criteria for causality. Dermato-Endocrinology. 2009; 1 (1): 14-21.
- Grant, W. B. Relation between prediagnostic serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level and incidence of breast, colorectal, and other cancers. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2010 May 12;
- Grant, W. B. An ecological study of cancer incidence and mortality rates in France with respect to latitude, an index for vitamin D production. Deramato-Endocrinology. 2010 April/May/June; 2 (2):
- Grant, W. B. Benefits of vitamin D in reducing the risk of cancer: Time to include vitamin D in cancer treatment?. J Soc Integr Oncol. 2010 Summer; 8 (3): 81-8.
- Grant, W. B. Effect of interval between serum draw and follow-up period on relative risk of cancer incidence with respect to 25-hydroxyvitamin D level; implications for meta-analyses and setting vitamin D guidelines. Dermato-endocrinology. 2011; 3 (3):
- Grant, W. B. Garland, C. F. The association of solar ultraviolet B (UVB) with reducing risk of cancer: multifactorial ecologic analysis of geographic variation in age-adjusted cancer mortality rates. Anticancer Res. 2006 Jul-Aug; 26 (4A): 2687-99.
- Grant, W. B. Juzeniene, A. Lagunova, Z. Porojnicu, A. C. Moan, J. E. Vitamin D levels in Norway may be inadequate to reduce risk of breast cancer. Int J Cancer. 2010 Jul 12;
- Hines, S. L. Jorn, H. K. Thompson, K. M. Larson, J. M. Breast cancer survivors and vitamin D: a review. Nutrition. 2010 Mar; 26 (3): 255-62.
- Ingles, S. A. Garcia, D. G. Wang, W. Nieters, A. Henderson, B. E. Kolonel, L. N. Haile, R. W. Coetzee, G. A. Vitamin D receptor genotype and breast cancer in Latinas (United States). Cancer Causes Control. 2000 Jan; 11 (1): 25-30.
- Ingraham, B. A. Bragdon, B. Nohe, A. Molecular basis of the potential of vitamin D to prevent cancer. Curr Med Res Opin. 2008 Jan; 24 (1): 139-49.
- John, E. M. Schwartz, G. G. Dreon, D. M. Koo, J. Vitamin D and breast cancer risk: the NHANES I Epidemiologic follow-up study, 1971-1975 to 1992. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 1999 May; 8 (5): 399-406.
- John, E. M. Schwartz, G. G. Koo, J. Wang, W. Ingles, S. A. Sun exposure, vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms, and breast cancer risk in a multiethnic population. Am J Epidemiol. 2007 Dec 15; 166 (12): 1409-19.
- Kawase, T. Matsuo, K. Suzuki, T. Hirose, K. Hosono, S. Watanabe, M. Inagaki, M. Iwata, H. Tanaka, H. Tajima, K. Association between vitamin D and calcium intake and breast cancer risk according to menopausal status and receptor status in Japan. Cancer Sci. 2010 May; 101 (5): 1234-40.
- Key, J. Hodgson, S. Omar, R. Z. Jensen, T. K. Thompson, S. G. Boobis, A. R. Davies, D. S. Elliott, P. Meta-analysis of studies of alcohol and breast cancer with consideration of the methodological issues. Cancer Causes Control. 2006 Aug; 17 (6): 759-70.
- Key, T. Appleby, P. Barnes, I. Reeves, G. Endogenous sex hormones and breast cancer in postmenopausal women: reanalysis of nine prospective studies. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2002 Apr 17; 94 (8): 606-16.
- Key, T. J. et al. Body mass index, serum sex hormones, and breast cancer risk in postmenopausal women. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2003 Aug 20; 95 (16): 1218-26.
- Kim, H. J. Lee, Y. M. Ko, B. S. Lee, J. W. Yu, J. H. Son, B. H. Gong, G. Y. Kim, S. B. Ahn, S. H. Vitamin D Deficiency is Correlated with Poor Outcomes in Patients with Luminal-type Breast Cancer. Annals of surgical oncology. 2011 Jul; 18 (7): 1830-6.
- Knight, J. A. Lesosky, M. Barnett, H. Raboud, J. M. Vieth, R. Vitamin D and reduced risk of breast cancer: a population-based case-control study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2007 Mar; 16 (3): 422-9.
- Krishnan, A. V. Swami, S. Feldman, D. Vitamin D and breast cancer: inhibition of estrogen synthesis and signaling. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2010 Jul; 121 (1-2): 343-8.
- Lappe, J. M. Travers-Gustafson, D. Davies, K. M. Recker, R. R. Heaney, R. P. Vitamin D and calcium supplementation reduces cancer risk: results of a randomized trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Jun; 85 (6): 1586-91.
- Lin, J. Manson, J. E. Lee, I. M. Cook, N. R. Buring, J. E. Zhang, S. M. Intakes of calcium and vitamin D and breast cancer risk in women. Arch Intern Med. 2007 May 28; 167 (10): 1050-9.
- Lowe, L. C. Guy, M. Mansi, J. L. Peckitt, C. Bliss, J. Wilson, R. G. Colston, K. W. Plasma 25-hydroxy vitamin D concentrations, vitamin D receptor genotype and breast cancer risk in a UK Caucasian population. Eur J Cancer. 2005 May; 41 (8): 1164-9.
- McKay, J. D. McCullough, M. L. Ziegler, R. G. Kraft, P. Saltzman, B. S. Riboli, E. Barricarte, A. Berg, C. D. Bergland, G. Bingham, S. Brustad, M. Bueno-de-Mesquita, H. B. Burdette, L. Buring, J. Calle, E. E. Chanock, S. J. Clavel-Chapelon, F. Cox, D. G. Dossus, L. Feigelson, H. S. Haiman, C. A. Hankinson, S. E. Hoover, R. N. Hunter, D. J. Husing, A. Kaaks, R. Kolonel, L. N. Le Marchand, L. Linseisen, J. McCarty, C. A. Overvad, K. Panico, S. Purdue, M. P. Stram, D. O. Stevens, V. L. Trichopoulos, D. Willett, W. C. Yuenger, J. Thun, M. J. Vitamin D receptor polymorphisms and breast cancer risk: results from the National Cancer Institute Breast and Prostate Cancer Cohort Consortium. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2009 Jan; 18 (1): 297-305.
- McCullough, M. L. Rodriguez, C. Diver, W. R. Feigelson, H. S. Stevens, V. L. Thun, M. J. Calle, E. E. Dairy, calcium, and vitamin D intake and postmenopausal breast cancer risk in the Cancer Prevention Study II Nutrition Cohort. Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers & prevention : a publication of the American Association for Cancer Research, cosponsored by the American Society of Preventive Oncology. 2005 Dec; 14 (12): 2898-904.
- Megdal SP, Kroenke CH, Laden F, Pukkala E, Schernhammer ES. Night work and breast cancer risk: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Cancer. 2005 Sept; 41 (13): 2023-32.
- Oh, E. Y. Ansell, C. Nawaz, H. Yang, C. H. Wood, P. A. Hrushesky, W. J. Global breast cancer seasonality. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010 Aug; 123 (1): 233-43.
- Peterlik, M. Grant, W. B. Cross, H. S. Calcium, vitamin D and cancer. Anticancer Res. 2009 Sep; 29 (9): 3687-98.
- Peppone, L. J. Huston, A. J. Reid, M. E. Rosier, R. N. Zakharia, Y. Trump, D. L. Mustian, K. M. Janelsins, M. C. Purnell, J. Q. Morrow, G. R. The effect of various vitamin D supplementation regimens in breast cancer patients. Breast cancer research and treatment. 2011 May; 127 (1): 171-7.
- Reeves, G. K. Pirie, K. Green, J. Bull, D. Beral, V. Reproductive factors and specific histological types of breast cancer: prospective study and meta-analysis. Br J Cancer. 2009 Feb 10; 100 (3): 538-44.
- Rejnmark, L. Tietze, A. Vestergaard, P. Buhl, L. Lehbrink, M. Heickendorff, L. Mosekilde, L. Reduced prediagnostic 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in women with breast cancer: a nested case-control study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2009 Oct; 18 (10): 2655-60.
- Robien, K. Cutler, G. J. Lazovich, D. Vitamin D intake and breast cancer risk in postmenopausal women: the Iowa Women's Health Study. Cancer causes & control : CCC. 2007 Sep; 18 (7): 775-82.
- Rossi, M. McLaughlin, J. K. Lagiou, P. Bosetti, C. Talamini, R. Lipworth, L. Giacosa, A. Montella, M. Franceschi, S. Negri, E. La Vecchia, C. Vitamin D intake and breast cancer risk: a case-control study in Italy. Ann Oncol. 2009 Feb; 20 (2): 374-8.
- Schernhammer, E. S. Hankinson, S. E. Urinary melatonin levels and postmenopausal breast cancer risk in the Nurses' Health Study cohort. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2009 Jan; 18 (1): 74-9.
- Shin, M. H. Holmes, M. D. Hankinson, S. E. Wu, K. Colditz, G. A. Willett, W. C. Intake of dairy products, calcium, and vitamin d and risk of breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2002 Sep 4; 94 (17): 1301-11.
- Sinotte, M. Rousseau, F. Ayotte, P. Dewailly, E. Diorio, C. Giguere, Y. Berube, S. Brisson, J. Vitamin D receptor polymorphisms (FokI, BsmI) and breast cancer risk: association replication in two case-control studies within French Canadian population. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2008 Dec; 15 (4): 975-83.
- Stevens, R. G. Light-at-night, circadian disruption and breast cancer: assessment of existing evidence. Int J Epidemiol. 2009 Aug; 38 (4): 963-70.
- Tang, C. Chen, N. Wu, M. Yuan, H. Du, Y. Fok1 polymorphism of vitamin D receptor gene contributes to breast cancer susceptibility: a meta-analysis. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2009 Sep; 117 (2): 391-9.
- Vashi, P. G. Trukova, K. Lammersfeld, C. A. Braun, D. P. Gupta, D. Impact of oral vitamin D supplementation on serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in oncology. Nutr J. 2010; 960.
- Wrensch, M. Chew, T. Farren, G. Barlow, J. Belli, F. Clarke, C. Erdmann, C. A. Lee, M. Moghadassi, M. Peskin-Mentzer, R. Quesenberry, C. P., Jr. Souders-Mason, V. Spence, L. Suzuki, M. Gould, M. Risk factors for breast cancer in a population with high incidence rates. Breast Cancer Res. 2003; 5 (4): R88-102.
- Yin, L. Grandi, N. Raum, E. Haug, U. Arndt, V. Brenner, H. Meta-analysis: serum vitamin D and breast cancer risk. Eur J Cancer. 2010 Aug; 46 (12): 2196-205.
- Yao, S. Sucheston, L. E. Millen, A. E. Johnson, C. S. Trump, D. L. Nesline, M. K. Davis, W. Hong, C. C. McCann, S. E. Hwang, H. Kulkarni, S. Edge, S. B. O'Connor, T. L. Ambrosone, C. B. Pretreatment serum concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D and breast cancer prognostic characteristics: a case-control and a case-series study. PLoS One. 2011; 6 (2): e17251.