VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
Vitamin D3 stopped my incontinence problem. I just wanted to share my success story in the event that it helps others. About 5 years ago, I started noticing that when I went to the bathroom, I was "dripping" a little bit of urine when I stood up from the toilet, even though I felt that I'd finished urinating (I'm a woman). It then progressed to slight urine loss throughout the day. I didn't have the stress incontinence you commonly hear about, which causes women to leak urine when coughing, sneezing, or lifting something. Other than when I went to the bathroom, I wasn't even aware "when" it was happening throughout the day, but I was now wearing pantiliners everyday to deal with the issue, so I could clearly see that it "was" happening. Luckily, it was a small amount, but it was distressing nonetheless. I was in my early 40s when it started, and after going online to do some investigating, I concluded that my problem was most likely due to a hormonal/perimenopausal weakening of the pelvic floor and that my options were doing kegels (which apparently most women don't do correctly to begin with, which seemed discouraging) or possibly taking one of the anticholinergic medications used to treat urinary problems (which may be associated with increased dementia risk…not something I was willing to take for the rest of my life). I never discussed this with a medical professional…which is all too common, I think. People are too embarrassed about this and suffer in silence. I figured I'd get around to dealing with it "someday." I knew nothing about D3 at the time and was getting minimal amounts of D3 through supplementation (possibly 1,000 IU daily, if that) and not much sun. I found my lab results from 4 years ago, and my D3 level was 39 ng/mL. My doctor at the time said nothing about the results, and since they were "in range," I didn't think anything of it. Now I know better. When I learned about the importance of D3 a few months ago, I began taking it just for the overall health benefits…I had no idea it had any effect on incontinence. After about 4 months of taking 5,000 IU of D3 every day, my incontinence problem no longer exists. I made no other changes in my supplements or diet, so I believe the D3 is responsible for the change. I have been completely "drip-free" for the past month or so and am still in a state of disbelief. I no longer "dribble" when I stand up from the toilet, and while I'm still wearing pantiliners out of habit, there is no urine on them. I got so used to living with the problem that I'm not yet used to being back to the "old me" with a "new Vitamin D3-enriched" pelvic floor and bladder. I can't believe that something as simple and affordable as D3 put an end to my problem. If you do an online search for "vitamin d3 incontinence," you'll find articles indicating that D3 helps to strengthen the pelvic floor, thus helping to resolve bladder issues. I wish I'd known about this sooner, but better late than never. What a shame that there are so many elderly people suffering with incontinence whose doctors are uninformed about D3 deficiency. My D3 level tested at 62.5 ng/mL a month ago, so now I'm beyond optimal. I can't find any of my other previous lab results, so I don't know what my level was when I started taking the daily 5,000 IU, but since I haven't been getting enough D3 for all of these years, I'm sure it wasn't much better than the 39 ng/mL I tested at 4 years ago. Who knows…it could possibly have been worse. I hope this helps someone, and I wish everyone a very healthy and happy new year!

Asked by  DK97 on December 27, 2017

Answers
  •  DK97 on

See title

Answered by  DK97 on
  •  IAW on

Dear DK97,
    Thanks so much for the great posting and the detail that you included!
    Your level of 62.5ng/ml is just fine. We aim for a “minimum” of 50ng/ml and your level is not too high.
    In our family we noted that “night time” urination (during sleeping hours)can be avoided if you take enough.
    Wishing you a “Happy and Healthy” New Year also!

Answered by  IAW on
  •  DK97 on

Hi IAW,

Thank you for your response. I’ve read through this forum and wanted to commend you on the amount of information, support, and encouragement that you’ve provided to others. You are really doing great work here and helping so many people.

I also wanted to mention that when the incontinence stopped, I had not yet started taking Vitamin K2 or magnesium. That’s what led me to the conclusion that the D3 alone was responsible for the change…it was the only new thing that I had introduced into my routine. I’ve now added Vitamin K2 and magnesium to my daily supplementation and have continued my daily D3 intake of 5,000 IU.

Thank you again for all of the support you provide to others on this forum.

Happy New Year!

Answered by  DK97 on
  •  IAW on

Your welcome!!!!!

Answered by  IAW on
  •  DK97 on

By the way, I had read that caffeine irritates the bladder and might cause incontinence or make it worse. I am a big coffee drinker and was considering (and cringing at the idea of) trying to give up my daily coffee to see if it would help with my problem. Thanks to Vitamin D3, my beloved coffee habit continues uninterrupted!!

Answered by  DK97 on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions