VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
Vitamin D & Asthma: My 25-hydroxy Vit D level is 34 ng/mL – I read the studies regarding Asthma and am now taking 30,000 iU per day to improve my Asthma and raise my Vit D level to between 60-80ng/mL. I heard that taking Vitamin K2 can help avoid problems with the increased calcium in the body that result from high doses of Vitamin D3. Can anybody confirm that? And has anybody with Asthma had good results by raising their Vitamin D level?

Asked by  bettina1 on September 19, 2019

Answers
  •  bettina1 on

See title

Answered by  bettina1 on
  •  IAW on

First, if you weigh more than 150lbs, you need to tell me because intake of Vitamin D is also based on weight. What I write below is going to assume, 150lbs at the moment.
    You are taking way too much Vitamin D. I would take 8000-10,000iu per day for 8 weeks, then retest your level AND also re-evaluate your Asthma at that point. Maybe even come back for more advice at that point if you think you have made progress but still feel there is room for improvement. If you take 8-10K for 8 weeks, your level should be 80ng/ml when you are done, if not then you need to come back and tell me. If after 8 weeks, you have a good level, then you need to go to a maintenance dosage. If your level is 80ng/ml and that is where you want to keep it, then you need to keep taking the same amount. We recommend a minimum level of 50ng/ml but in your case you may or may not need a higher level to keep the Asthma in check.
    There is bad information out there about K2. Science knows that Vitamin K WILL help direct calcium to bone and away from soft tissue, so everyone should make sure there is enough in their diet. If not then use supplements. If you take too much Vitamin D it can cause hypercalcemia and no amount of Vitamin K will probably help.
    There are a lot of scientific studies that show Vitamin D will help Asthma. Sorry I cannot recall off the top of my head, if anyone has specifically said it did on this forum. If it does not, believe me there are plenty of other reasons to keep your level at 50ng/ml or above. At levels of 40ng/ml and below, your risk for cancer and autoimmune diseases rises “drastically”!
    Please also read http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-and-other-vitamins-and-minerals/. It is very important! Another good reason not to take high amounts of Vitamin D is that it might make mineral and vitamin levels go low. If it does, you might end up with more symptoms then you started with. Magnesium is usually the one this can happen with because most diets are low in magnesium to start. nccih.nih.gov/research/results/spotlight/021110.htm
    If you have any more questions, just ask!

Answered by  IAW on
    •  bettina1 on

Thanks so much for all this info. I weigh about 144 pounds, so that assumption is correct. I’ll read through those links you sent and will adjust my intake. I’ll keep you all posted. Have a second blood test scheduled for mid December. Hope to have some positive news to report by then.

Answered by  bettina1 on
    •  IAW on

Your welcome! 🙂

Answered by  IAW on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions

December 21st is DDAY. Click here to celebrate the day with us!