VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
New here. I just started taking 5000ui of Vit D3 on my own. Turning 44 this year :) I was having a round of cluster headaches. On my 3rd dose today. Cluster headaches are gone. not sure if it was the D3 or they were just done this time. I had my blood work done a couple years ago, and was prescribed Vit D for low levels. I live in Portland Oregon. ugg. no sun basically more than half the year. So, like i said, i just started taking the 5000ui daily again on my own. Perhaps there is a little bit of anxiety, possible irritability as side effects. I know, i need to get my l levels tested again. Just curious if its safe to just start on your own? Like i said, this is Portland Oregon after all.

Asked by  esg on February 26, 2018

Answers
  •  esg on

See title

Answered by  esg on
  •  esg on

Side note, my partner was literally just prescribed Vit D3 after getting levels tested. So, based on that, i got some OTC D3 as well.

Answered by  esg on
  •  IAW on

You are correct that the “odds” are very high, that you would be deficient, if you live in Oregon. It would NOT be necessary to get tested again just to confirm that. It would be better if you waited 8 weeks once starting the 5000iu, then tested to make sure you have reached a healthy level of minimum 50ng/ml. If you do not reach close to that level, then you would need to take a larger dosage.
    The side effects are probably from not enough magnesium. Vitamin D uses up a lot of it. So a supplement should stop those symptoms. A blood test for magnesium only measures the 2% in your blood and not body stores, so the only way to see if this is the issue is to take some magnesium.
    Now we are headed into spring/summer. So if you get retested, keep this in mind. Your level then might contain some “sunshine” plus the supplement. What you can also do is take the 5000iu and as long as you do not have any “health” issues, then retest yourself next December/January to make sure the 5000iu does maintain a healthy level. You can always come back for more advice.
    Now I just want to make sure that your partner is taking D3 and NOT D2? Actual prescription D in the USA is D2 and not D3. Please check!
    I always recommend everyone read http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-and-other-vitamins-and-minerals/.
    Yes it’s the Vitamin D helping your cluster headaches!

Answered by  IAW on
    •  esg on

Thanks for the info. Can you recommend the minimum dosage & kind of magnesium to take ? And should I take the magnesium in the morning when I take my Vit D3 ?
      Also, I occasionally take Imitrex for my cluster headaches (had to take it last night), are there any interactions I should worry about between Imitrex, D3 and Magnesium, that you are aware of?
      I also started taking 550mg of Ginger capsules. Is this a safe combination with VitD3?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  esg.
      Answered by  esg on
  •  IAW on

Just being upfront, I am not a doctor.
    I have never read anything that shows a contradiction of Vitamin D and anything you listed above.
    For magnesium do not get OXIDE. Anything ending in “ate”, should be good. (Example citrate.) I would try and get one that has 150-200mg in a serving and start there. If you still have the symptoms after a few days, then double, then triple if not enough. Warning too much magnesium will give you loose bowels and then you will know that you took to much. You probably only need one or two “servings” but it depends on how good your actual “diet” is.
    Since we do not know your starting Vitamin D level, you could also try this since you have the headaches but first get the magnesium and take it for several days before trying. You could double the Vitamin D to 10,000iu a day and see if that stops the headaches altogether. If it does then stay on that amount for awhile. If you are now going to ask what awhile is then I have to give you my best guess. Let’s try four weeks. If no headache in sight, then go back to the 5000iu. If they stay away then fine but if they come back then go back to the 10,000iu.
    Let me know how you are doing!

Answered by  IAW on
    •  esg on

Fantastic news. I just picked up some NatureMade Magnesium Citrate 250mg. I’m going to take 1 a day for now with food to assist the 5000iu VitD intake & see how they play together for the cluster headaches as well.
      And will report back with any news. Thanks again

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  esg.
      Answered by  esg on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions