VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
My 23 yo son was just informed that his Vitamin D level is low (working on getting the actual numeric value for this result). He eats 2 servings of yogurt daily, skim milk, granola, kale, etc. He walks outside frequently. Based on this, I wonder why his vit d level is low-his PA did not seem overly interested. He has lower back pain, suffers from IBS (maybe this is the cause of malabsorption of vit d?) and seems to get colds frequently. Also suffers from depression and anxiety. Autoimmune problems run in the family (RA and AS) so his PA is doing some blood work to check that, but no real clinical evaluation or images. I want him to see someone who is more qualified to answer his issues – have suggested my rheumatologist. Any ideas?

Asked by  lucy189 on December 13, 2017

Answers
  •  lucy189 on

See title

Answered by  lucy189 on
  •  IAW on

At https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/how-do-i-get-the-vitamin-d-my-body-needs/ is a “great read” on how you can go outside and still be Vitamin D deficient. There is NOT enough Vitamin D in food to keep a human being “healthy”.
    So even though the Vitamin D range starts, depending on where you live, at 20-30ng/ml this is NOT a healthy level. Healthy levels start at above 40ng/ml. So this is why we here at the VDC recommend maintaining a healthy level of 50ng/ml or above.
    Studies show that at levels below 40ng/ml your chances for cancer and “yes” autoimmune diseases rises “dramatically”.
    His lower back pain, frequent colds, depression, anxiety and IBS can ALL be attributed to low Vitamin D.
    More importantly how is he being treated for his deficiency? He should not be taking D2 ONLY D3. It is better to take smaller amounts of D3 daily instead of a big amount once a week. Having said this many doctors prescribe 50,000 iu for 8 weeks and then to retest levels. This would equal about 8000iu a day. Once his levels are over 50ng/ml, then usually a maintenance dosage of 5000iu a day works for most adults weighing 150lbs. If you weigh more, you have to take more. (Let me know if he weighs a lot more.)
    You are correct that because he is battling IBS, it may cause malabsorption of D. Make no mistake though, the Vitamin D deficiency came first and is causing everything else. So I personally would ask someone to test him at four weeks to make sure his levels are increasing. (If they will not, then I have some other suggestions.) If levels are not rising, then the best thing to do is an oral spray of Vitamin D to get around absorbancy issues.
    I guarantee that everyone in your family is Vitamin D deficient as defined by the VDC’s healthy level of 50ng/ml or at the very minimum 40ng/ml.
    I encourage everyone to read http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-and-other-vitamins-and-minerals/. A good thing is he eats kale. If any of his symptoms get worse while taking the D, come back and tell me. It usually means a mineral has gone low and it is usually magnesium.
    So he doesn’t need an expert. He just needs a lot of Vitamin D.
    Either you or him can always come back and ask for more advice or if you have any further questions.
    If you get his actual level, come back and let me know what it is.

Answered by  IAW on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions