VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
I was prescribed Vitamin D 2,000,000 ul/100ml Ergocalciferol under the brand name Sterogyl. The leaflet inside was written in French so I just went by the instructions on the label of the box that my doctor printed out. It said to take 2.5ml every week for 8 weeks. When I took it, it BURNED horribly. I looked it up online and it says that the regular dose for treatment is 5-10 drops daily and that it should be mixed with water. I had just taken 150 drops straight! My question is… do you know why I was prescribed such a large dose once a week? Why can I not take a lower dose daily? I've now read that Vit D overdose is rare and it's usually only found after mega doses. Surely, it would be easier for my body to take and be more effective if I were to take small amounts daily rather than one giant dose a week. Is this normal? I'm feeling a bit sick now but I don't know whether that's to do with drinking 90% alcohol straight. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Asked by  mrkat3343 on January 8, 2018

Answers
  •  mrkat3343 on

See title

Answered by  mrkat3343 on
  •  IAW on

Let me explain some things first.
    In the “past” the way to treat Vitamin D deficiency was to give 50,000iu of Vitamin D”2″ (which is the Ergocalciferol you were given) once a week. Research has come a long way but many doctors still use this older method.
    Now when I do the math, the amount of drops prescribed was 50,000iu and you took 60,000iu. I just wanted to square this away. Taking that much more is not the issue BUT the issue is you should NOT take the D2, you should only take D3 which is cholecalciferol. This is an “over the counter” Vitamin in the USA which means no prescription necessary.
    It is better for you to take a smaller amount everyday than huge amounts once a week. Now I do not know what your level was but obviously you are deficient. So this is what you should do.
    Get yourself the D3 and take 10,000iu A DAY because you are deficient. In 8 weeks that doctor should be checking to make sure you reached a good level. (If he will not do this than come back and tell me.) AFTER you correct the deficiency, then you should take 5000iu a day or else you will become deficient again. (These amounts are based on a person weighing 150lbs. If you weigh more you have to take more.)
    We here at the VDC believe in maintaining a level of 50ng/ml (125nmol/l) because at levels below this your chances for cancer and autoimmune disease rises dramatically!
    You should read http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-and-other-vitamins-and-minerals/.
    You might want to wait a week before taking anymore or at least until the sickness subsides. (If it does not subside or you add any more symptoms, come back and tell me.)
    Do you have any major health issues at the moment beside this deficiency?
    If you have more questions, just ask!

Answered by  IAW on
  •  mrkat3343 on

Thank you so much for the detailed reply ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m not sure what my exact level is but my doctor said that it’s a quarter of what it should be. All of my other levels, besides calcium are fine but I think I became deficient because I had severe allergies last summer (I moved to a different country and wasn’t used to the pollen here) and didn’t go outside much. Once my levels are up, I’ll be sure to take 5000 a day as you suggested to keep them up.I’ll be getting my levels checked in 8 weeks once I’m done with this course.

I was prescribed d2 because I’m vegan and the regular prescribed d3 isn’t. I have found an over the counter vegan d3 though, do you think I should switch to this asap or should I wait to see if the d2 works? If you think I should switch asap, would a spray be ok or should I stick to tablets?

Thanks for the article ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve bought vitamin A, K and magnesium already but didn’t know about the zinc and boron. My diet is pretty good and I eat lots of nuts and peanut butter which are rich in zinc and boron… do you think this is enough or should I buy these supplements as well?

I weigh 110lbs, not 150lbs, should I still take 10,000iu as you suggested? I also don’t feel sick anymore… should I still wait a week or should I start taking it daily?

Thanks again for your help. With doctors giving outdated info, it’s amazing to have an expert like you share your wisdom. It’s greatly appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚

•  IAW on

If you have a diet that covers the RDA’s for any vitamin or mineral, then you do not need to supplement. Having said that today’s diets can lack magnesium and Vitamin D uses a lot of magnesium. There are also other factions that would not agree that the governments RDA’s are correct in certain instances and magnesium is one of them.
    I am not sure where you live so the lower end of the Vitamin D range is usually 30ng/ml in the USA and for example 20ng/ml in England. So above I said “healthy” is 50ng/ml and certainly not less than 40ng/ml. My point is if the doctor said it is a “quarter” of what it should be, then your level could very well be 5ng/ml or 25 nmol/l. This is because most doctors are going to use that bottom end of the range as healthy when it is not. So I can only calculate that you are extremely low. If this is so, then also make sure your diet has enough calcium in it because that low would put you in the adult rickets range.
    If you get your levels high enough, then you may not have problems with allergies. Not enough Vitamin D and your immune system can not function correctly.
    Again if you are really that low, then I would stick with the 10,000iu a day for the 8 weeks. (Go no lower than 8000iu right now.) At the 8 week mark if you are not well over 50ng/ml (125nmol/l), then come back and tell me. If you start any new symptoms along the way, come back and tell me.
    I would take no chances and switch to the vegan D3. (Some people have no reaction and others I have seen, can get sick just using the D2.) Humans make D3 and not D2 and taking D2 can actually make D3 levels go lower. Sprays actually have a very good absorption rate but probably cost a lot more. (If you had any type of gastro issues, then this is what I would recommend.) So I will leave that decision up to you.
    I am not sure how to answer the question on “should you wait a week before taking any of the D3”. You will probably be fine. If you are low in magnesium then those symptoms could show at any time. It’s another good reason to take smaller amounts daily. What you could do is start taking it for a week but for that first week do a lot less. I am not sure how much the spray contains. So let’s pretend it has 3000iu per spray. So instead of doing three just do one the first week and then go to three sprays for the next seven weeks. Also you may want to count the 8 weeks from when you start taking the 3 sprays. It takes about 8 weeks on any “given amount” of Vitamin D to know what your level will be on that particular amount. So for example you get to 8 weeks and your level is 80ng/ml. When you then cut back to 5000iu it will take 8 weeks again to find the “new normal level” on that amount. If you get to 8 weeks on 10,000iu and your level is 50ng/ml or below, then you need to come back and tell me. I have every confidence this will not happen but never say never.
    More questions, just ask.
    Oh and you never answered if you have any particular health issues because I might recommend even more Vitamin D if you do!

Answered by  IAW on
  •  mrkat3343 on

Oh dear, I’m in England so I guess with our 20ng/ml range, I could be extremely low. I will call my doctors today and see if I can get a copy of my test results to confirm.

Sorry, I thought you meant do I have any other serious conditions which aren’t Vit D related like heart disease etc. This is what I originally went to the doctor for. By themselves, none were a major issue but together, I was starting to get worried and wanted the doctor to see if there was a link. He couldn’t think of anything and said I should be fine but did blood tests to see if there was something he was missing:

Tinnitus
    From time to time I get a constant ear clicking at the end of each sentence I speak, when there is a slight pause (usually when dehydrated and usually in right ear)
    Occular migraines once every few months followed by nausea and headache (salt intake helped to reduce the nausea and headache)
    Fatigue (again, salt intake helped with this when its severe)
    Alopecia (I had a couple of bald patches when I was in my teens, I’m now 32, and have one the size of an american quarter, though the hair is already growing back… completely white!)
    Muscle weakness
    Joints clicking more than usual when I move/stand up

I just looked up adult rickets and see that I have a few symptoms so I will definitely be switching to D3 straight away. It’s a little frightening but the fact that things can improve in a few weeks of taking vit d is great!

Thanks again for all your help, once I have some more funds after I buy these additional supplements, I’ll definitely be becoming a member, this site is amazing ๐Ÿ™‚

•  IAW on

I think it is wise to get a copy of the results. I always do for all of my blood work.
    We would love to have another member!

Answered by  IAW on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions