VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
I have was diagnosed with migraines and high blood pressure in February and have been have issues with it ever since. My blood pressure didn’t come down on meds and headaches continued. I recently had a diagnosis of ulcerative colitis too. I had a wellness exam 3 weeks ago and I asked if they could check my vitamin D level which ended up being 20. I’m currently taking 5000iu daily. My headaches went away and blood pressure normalized for 3 weeks. Now my headaches are back, blood pressure up, and having leg pain and hand pain.

Asked by  Natapusss on November 9, 2018

Answers
  •  Natapusss on

See title

Answered by  Natapusss on
  •  IAW on

My first guess is you are low in magnesium. Magnesium is a “co-factor” for Vitamin D. You can read about co-factors here at http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-and-other-vitamins-and-minerals/.
    I would get some supplemental magnesium and take it but do not get magnesium oxide. (Less is absorbed by the body than other types of magnesium.)
    If you are wondering why you went 3 weeks with no issues, unfortunately it can happen at any time. Besides calcium, magnesium is used also in bones. When you start taking the Vitamin D that your body desperately needs, it is then “more than happy” to make a lot of “repairs”. Unfortunately it needs a lot of other vitamins and minerals to make those repairs. Eventually you can end up with a shortage. This can happen with any mineral but most likely the magnesium is the culprit.
    So if you take some supplemental magnesium along with the Vitamin D for let’s say 8 weeks, you could then try and stop taking it and then your diet alone may be enough. It would go to say that if the symptoms start returning, then there is not enough in your diet and you need to change that or use a supplement.
    The ulcerative colitis is probably also coming from the low Vitamin D levels and may also get better as your levels improve. If you can take the 5000iu for 8 weeks and retest, as long as you weigh around 150lbs, this should get you to the 50ng/ml we recommend. If it does not, then you should come back and tell me. The 5000iu needs to be taken,forever. Do not take any less than that.
    The goal is to maintain a minimum level of 50ng/ml(125nmol/l) because at levels at and below 40ng/ml(100nmol/l), your risk for cancer and autoimmune diseases rises “dramatically”.
    If you have any other questions, just ask!

Answered by  IAW on
    •  Natapusss on

Thank you!

Answered by  Natapusss on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions

December 21st is DDAY. Click here to celebrate the day with us!