VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
I have just received my Vitamin D test result for 7th January which was 156.2 nmol/L (Total Vitamin D) (153.4 nmol/L D3 and 2.8 nmol/L D2). I also had my Vitamin D levels tested on 20th December 2017 and came back as 108.1 nmol/L (which I thought was too high and so wanted a 2nd test done). I have been taking Vitamin D3 supplements (4000IU) once a day (with 100mcg Vitamin K2) since 20th November 2017. I would not have thought that my Vitamin D level would reach such a high level with 4000IU per day which I believed to be a safe dosage (the Vitamin D Council website recommends 4000IU per day)? What would you suggest I should I do?

Asked by  GCH on January 13, 2018

Answers
  •  GCH on

See title

Answered by  GCH on
  •  IAW on

It usually takes a full 8 weeks on any given dosage of Vitamin D to know what your level will end up being on that amount. So the January level is the most accurate at 7 weeks and may or may not go a little higher.
    Having said this the Vitamin D Council recommends 5000iu of D3 per day for a weight of 150lbs. If you weigh less than that you may be able to take a smaller amount. The next thing is the VDC recommends a “minimum” level of 50ng/ml or that translates to 125nmol/l. So your present level of 153 D3 level translates to 61ng/ml. This is a perfectly safe level. Since my job is to try and educate, science knows that a level of 150ng/ml or translated 375nmol/l is perfectly safe. Science at this point, though, says a “healthy” level is 40ng/ml (100nmol/l). There is scientific proof at levels 40ng/ml and below this, your chances for cancer and autoimmune disease rises “dramatically”. This is part of the reason we aim for the 50ng/ml. So better to have a level of your 153nmol/l than a level of just 100nmol/l.
    You are doing everything correctly, so I would recommend you stay the course. As a warning if you take the 4000iu and then get some “summer sun” and then test your level, it will be higher than what it is now. I would not worry about this either because most people do not get enough exposure in the summer.
    We also recommend maintaining higher levels than 50ng/ml for those with health issues.
    If you have more questions just ask!

Answered by  IAW on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions