VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
I had my blood tested after several months of muscle and joint pain. Vit D was on the low side – 31. Dr. prescribed 1000 IU/day of D3. I have been taking it every day for about 2 mos but haven’t had much relief from symptoms. Should I try increasing my dose?

Asked by  jcake87 on September 30, 2018

Answers
  •  jcake87 on

See title

Answered by  jcake87 on
  •  IAW on

With a level of 31 and those symptoms, I have to assume, at the moment, that your level is being measured as nmol/l and not ng/ml. Country in which you live would also tell me how it was measured. It makes a big difference. If it is 31nmol/l that translates to a USA measurement of 12ng/ml. If you do not think this is the case, let me know.
    Doctors should know that they need to “Treat” a deficiency by first giving “higher” amounts of Vitamin D. After you are “cured”, then you need to take a “Maintenance” dosage.
    This is what we recommend. Take 8000-10,000iu a day of D3, for 8 weeks and then retest levels to make sure they have recovered enough.(Pick 8, 9 or 10,000iu and keep taking that amount.)
    We here at the VDC recommend maintaining a minimum “healthy” level of 50ng/ml which for you if measured as nmol/l is 125nmol/l. At levels at and below 40ng/ml(100nmol/l), your risk for autoimmune diseases and cancer rises “dramatically”.
    At the end of 8 weeks, your level should be much higher than the 50ng/ml(125nmol/l). IF this is so, and you feel well, then you can take a maintenance dosage of 5000iu a day, forever. This 5000iu is based on a person weighing 150lbs. If you weigh more, you have to take more. Once you start taking a lower amount, your levels will automatically adjust down to the healthy level we recommend.
    If for some reason levels do not increase enough, then you may want to come back for more advice. For example, at the end of 8 weeks your level is 50ng/ml(125nmol/l), then you cannot decrease the amount taken because your levels would then decrease to an unhealthy level.
    I encourage everyone to read the following links:

Vitamin D and other vitamins and minerals

How do I get the vitamin D my body needs?

Please let me know if you have any other questions I can help answer.

Answered by  IAW on
  •  jcake87 on

Thanks for your response and the helpful information! I am in the US and it was ng/mL. The Dr. said it was borderline low but not what he would call an “insufficiency”. I am looking into other possible reasons for the muscle/joint pain with a Rheumatologist next week, but do want to make sure I get my vitamin D up to the 50ng/mL that you recommend. Should I continue with the 1000 IU/day that I am currently taking or up it to 4000-5000 IU?

Answered by  jcake87 on
  •  IAW on

Since it is ng/ml, you can first try taking 5000iu a day. Give it 8 weeks. If you are still having ANY symptoms, I would then test and come back and let me know what your level is then. If no symptoms, then just keep taking the 5000iu daily do not decrease any further than that.
    Muscles use a lot of Vitamin D. Low D levels can cause joint issues.
    There may be two issues at play. It sounds like you were first tested over the summer. If so your levels could contain a little sunshine. A lot of the USA is now going into fall/winter when very little Vitamin D if any can be made unless you live below 35 degrees latitude. This would mean your levels will get worse over time. The 1000iu is not enough to “keep up”.
    The second issue is that calcium does not absorb well from the intestines without enough Vitamin D. This action happens best at a level of 30ng/ml and above. Right not you are on the “border”. This 30 is why the ranges in the USA usually start at 30. There is enough “scientific” information and studies to show that levels below 40 are not good for humans. So get to 50ng/ml!

Answered by  IAW on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions

December 21st is DDAY. Click here to celebrate the day with us!