VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
I had a Vitamin D test which came back as 37 nmol/l (14.8 ng/ml), so I started supplementing 4000 IU a day. After 8 weeks I was retested which came back as 97 nmol/l (38.8 ng/ml). This is in line with the information on the Vitamin D Council page 'I tested my vitamin D level. What do my results mean?' I am still taking 4000 IU daily, so according to that page in another 8 weeks I should be in the 50 to 60 ng/ml range. If I continue to take 4000 IU, will my levels continue to rise, or will they level off at some point? Should I reduce daily intake once I am in the 50-60 ng/ml range, and if so how many IU daily would maintain that level? The Vitamin D Council recommends 5000 IU a day, but this seems at odds with the information in 'I tested my vitamin D level. What do my results mean?' – which implies 5000 will increase blood levels, rather than maintain. Thanks for your time

Asked by  damianjon on March 1, 2018

Answers
  •  damianjon on

See title

Answered by  damianjon on
  •  IAW on

Several things.
    First those pages and the “5000iu a day”, only take into account an average weight of 150lbs. So if you weigh more, than you have to take more.
    The 5000iu is also, in a sense, based on, as best I can explain, “average” in general. Meaning if there is some kind of “genetic” influence on levels, that is yet to be determined officially by science. So that only makes the page you are referencing, only just so “accurate”. This is why we tell people to retest to “make sure” they are getting to the “healthy” level of 50ng/ml(125nmol/l).
    Levels at the 8-week mark, in a sense, “level off”. This is why you should test every 8 weeks instead of less than that. Since you did not make it to 50ng/ml(125nmol/l), you should take more.
    Now “on average”, if you want to raise by another 10ng/ml you take another 1000iu for every 10ng/ml you want to raise. Theoretically that would mean you would go from 39 to 49ng/ml. You need to take 5000iu.
    You could retest at the end of 8 weeks again or in your case just assume you made it to that level. All indications so far “for you” is that you will make it to 50ng/ml or be very close.

Answered by  IAW on
    •  IAW on

Your maintenance dosage will then be 5000iu a day.

Answered by  IAW on
    •  damianjon on

Thank you for answering my question. 4000iu should keep me at my current level, 5000iu should take me up to 50 (ish). I’ll adjust accordingly and retest in 8 weeks. Crazy how the RDA (in the UK at least) is 400iu. Again thanks for your help.

Answered by  damianjon on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions