VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
Hi I tested with vitamin d 16. I don't know the right amount that I must take.

Asked by  Mina21 on January 27, 2018

Answers
  •  Mina21 on

See title

Answered by  Mina21 on
  •  IAW on

Your level is fairly low. I would take 8000-10,000iu of D3 a day for 8 weeks and retest. Retesting is very important. At that point if your level is not well above 50ng/ml(125nmol/l), then come back and tell me. If it is well above then you can go to a maintenance dosage of 5000iu a day. If you weigh more than 150lbs let me know. The more you weigh, the more you have to take. If you have health issue’s, you should let me know.
    I encourage everyone to read http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-and-other-vitamins-and-minerals/. It is very important.
    If you start to have any symptoms or any symptoms you already have are getting worse, then come back and tell me. It is usually a mineral deficiency.

Answered by  IAW on
    •  IAW on

Sorry Mina someone else posted another question below on your post so do not confuse it with yours!!

Answered by  IAW on
  •  apacheco514 on

My Vitamin D came back as 18 ng/mL The lab acceptable range is
    20-79 ng/mL. Kaiser doctor said I am severely deficient 3rd time in 5 years. I also have an autoimmune disorder, Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS) and on Lovenox 150mg injections nightly after Warfarin failure.

My doctor prescribed 300,000 iu Vitamin D2 to be taken ALL AT ONCE, then 2000 iu daily. Retest in 4 weeks.

My question is whether Both load maximum and daily should have been D3 instead of D2? Also, the pharmacist was shocked at the dosage as was I but read about the loading dose so I took them all this morning.

Answered by  apacheco514 on
  •  IAW on

Yes, it is better for humans to take D3 and not D2. It is also much better to take Vitamin D daily. So it would be better to take 10,000iu or more a day rather than the loading dose of 300,000. The problem was more in taking the D2 than in taking the huge amount.
    Your doctor is probably doing something wrong. So had you NOT taken the meds this morning, I would have told you to do the following. Take 10,000iu of “D3” everyday for 8 weeks and then retest your levels. At that point if your level was real close to 50ng/ml, then I would have said you need to keep taking the 10,000iu a day as a “maintenance dosage”, forever. If your level was a lot higher than 50ng/ml, AND you did NOT have an autoimmune disease, I would have said you could now take a maintenance dosage of 5000iu a day. This you would do “forever”. Having an autoimmune disease, you may want to maintain a higher level of more like 80-100ng/ml. After 8 weeks your level did not rise above 40, then you would have to take more than the 10,000iu a day. If it does not rise at all, then you have an absorption issue.
    Here at the VDC we believe a “healthy level” is 50ng/ml or above. At levels below 40ng/ml your risk for autoimmune disease and cancer rises “dramatically”. So Kaiser’s lab range, 20-79 ng/ml is not good. LabCorp’s is 30-100ng/ml and I can tell you that 100 is NOT dangerous. Problems “may” start at levels of 150ng/ml and above.
    So if the doctor does not prescribe a large enough “maintenance dosage”, after treating, then your levels will “plummet again”. This is usually the number one reason. Since you do have an autoimmune issue, you may be using Vitamin D up at a much larger rate and would therefore have to take more than normal. If you weigh more than 150lbs, you have to take more than a normal person.
    So what to do now. Since you took the meds, I would follow what the doctor says and take the 2000iu a day and get tested in four weeks not the usual 8. When you get those results, come back and tell me what they are.
    If you develop any symptoms you did not already have, come back and tell me. It usually means a mineral deficiency.
    Let me also WARN you. Vitamin D3 is a “natural blood thinner”. I am not a doctor so I do not know how or if this will affect the Lovenox dose you take.
    If you have more questions, just ask!

Answered by  IAW on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions