VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
Hi, i have severe bile acid malabsorption, basically i can’t digest any of the fat soluble vitamins. My question is this- so i can’t absorb these properly, naturally, via food ( i’ve had b12, vit and vit d extreme deficiencies so far), will i be better able to absorb them in tablet form (well, injections for b12). Also, how often should i be tested for all vitamin deficiencies? Thanks for any help, Amanda

Asked by  Manda999 on April 23, 2019

Answers
  •  Manda999 on

See title

Answered by  Manda999 on
  •  IAW on

Sorry Amanda, I am not a doctor. Several suggestions for the Vitamin D would be the following. Sometimes people with “gut” issues can take larger amounts of D knowing they will not absorb a lot of it. For example if you weigh around 150lbs, then if you take 5000iu of D3 daily, this should give you a level of 50ng/ml in 8 weeks time. For you, you might have to take 10,000iu (or more) to get to that same level of 50ng/ml. This may take a lot of “trial and error” and testing to figure out what amount is best. Vitamin D “oral sprays” work really well and absorb by oral means rather than thru the gastrointestinal tracked. You may also be able to “rub” a Vitamin D “drop” on the inside of your cheeks which is basically the same as the oral spray. It also works to place Vitamin D, in an oil, and rub it on your skin. The last would be “sunshine” or when that is not available, for example winter, then a “sun lamp”.
    If you know you are D deficient right now. I would do the following.
    Use 8000-10,000iu of D3 in one of those methods above. Wait a full 8 weeks and then retest your levels. If you take 10,000iu orally by swallowing a capsule or pill and your levels do move somewhat, then we might be able to figure out how much to take orally but always need to test to verify. For example if you try the oral spray method, do the same thing, use 10,000iu for 8 weeks and test and see what your level is. If your level is “above” 50ng/ml, more like 80ng/ml, that is a good sign. At that point you could reduce your amount to 5000iu a day and you know an oral spray works for you.
    I do not know “why” you have this condition but Vitamin D may help. So you may even want to continue the higher D level(80ng/ml) for several months to see if it improves your condition.
    If you weigh a lot more than 150lbs, let me know, Vitamin D is also based on weight! The more you weigh, the more you have to take.
    Vitamin D needs co-factors and you can read about them here at http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-and-other-vitamins-and-minerals/. Vitamin D uses a lot of magnesium and people say that if you use magnesium “oils”, they also work rather than ingesting. I am really unsure if any other vitamins and minerals can also work this way? One Of the co-factors is Vitamin K which is also fat soluble. Vitamin K is what moves calcium away from soft tissues, where you do not want it to be, and towards bone.
    If you have any other questions, just ask!

Answered by  IAW on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions

December 21st is DDAY. Click here to celebrate the day with us!