VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
Hi. For some time I have been feeling very unwell, muscle ache, pain to the bones, fatigue etc. I have an active job, and often attend the gym. Anyway I decided to get a blood test and the results showed Vitamin D deficiency. Tested in the UK, results shown as 35 mgnol, to the units used in the UK. My doctor didn’t go in depth, though suggested I should take a Vitamin D supplement. I have bought one, it’s strength is 2000IU. I have read some of the threads and it seems this may not be enough to bring my levels back up. The brand I bought is Vitabiotcs, am I able to take more than one a day, to reach the recommended allowance to increase my dosages, or do you suggest I go back to the doctor?

Asked by  Francescasophia on June 24, 2019

Answers
  •  Francescasophia on

See title

Answered by  Francescasophia on
  •  IAW on

Although the Osteomalacia range is 10ng/ml(25nmol/l) and under, your statement of “pain to the bones” might mean Osteomalacia.
    So “yes” you should take anywhere from 8000-10,000iu PER DAY for 8 weeks and then hopefully get retested to make sure your levels have recovered enough. Vitamin D is based on weight, so if you weigh a lot more than 150lbs, let me know.
    It is fine to take either 4, 2000iu capsules or 5. You can take them all at once but make sure it is with a meal or snack that contains a fat in it for absorption.
    We here at the VDC believe in maintaining a “healthy” level of 50ng/ml(125nmol/l). At levels at and below 75nmol/l, calcium cannot absorb correctly from the intestines. At level at and below 100nmol/l, your risk for cancer and autoimmune diseases rises “dramatically”!
    If at the end of 8 weeks you are not totally better, then you absolutely need to be retested. Come back and give me your new level at this point. If you feel totally better then start taking a maintenance dosage which is 5000iu per day and is based on a person weighing 150lbs. Weigh more, you have to take more. If the doctor will not co-operate, I believe you can buy a test kit in the UK area.
    You may want to make your workout a little easier on yourself, until you are better. Muscles use “a lot” of Vitamin D.
    Please read http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-and-other-vitamins-and-minerals/. If there is not enough magnesium in your diet, the Vitamin D may cause “symptoms”. If you are leaning towards Osteomalacia, then make sure there is enough calcium in your diet. If you add any new symptoms or old ones get worse, come back and tell me.
    If you have any more questions, just ask!

Answered by  IAW on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions

December 21st is DDAY. Click here to celebrate the day with us!