VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
Hello there, I am a 36 year old woman, 5’4” 125 lbs. for the last 10 years, my vitamin D levels have hovered between 6 and 12. My hip sockets pop and ache, my spine and ankle bones ache and my legs muscles are very weak. I spend most of my days outside, avoid coffee and tea, take a daily dose of 6,000 IU D3 (tried liquid drops, tablets, capsules, gel caps) and every few months get put on prescription D3 of 50,000 IU taken once a week. I also eat a diet full of dark leafy greens, fruits and kefir with d added. My levels never get above 16 and I feel horrible all the time. I am doing everything right, why do I still have adult Ricketts? It is causing me to be less active in my life due to the pain. My doctors are clueless. I test negative for celiac (blood test and bowel biopsy) help!

Asked by  CandiceC on March 10, 2018

Answers
  •  CandiceC on

See title

Answered by  CandiceC on
  •  CandiceC on

Editing to say that all my other blood work is normal except very low alkaline phosphatase. I take my D3 with high fat goat milk kefir. Not a vegetarian. Also tend to be on the lower end of normal scale for magnesium, so I use magnesium lotion and take a mix of mag glycinate and citrate, 400 mg daily. My B6 levels are sky high at over 200, even though I avoid all supplements with B6 and do not eat or drink foods fortified with B6 because it is already so high. When I do supplement B6 I get very bad cystic acne. Doctors are also stumped about the B6 as well!

Answered by  CandiceC on
  •  CandiceC on

Also forgot to add that osteomalacia was confirmed with xray

Answered by  CandiceC on
  •  IAW on

In your case I suspect that you just are not taking enough Vitamin D to get you out of the deficit. If you have adult rickets it will probably take a higher amount, over a longer period of time to correct. Many people have levels like you but not all have progressed to Rickets because I can tell by their symptoms.
    In the USA prescription Vitamin D is D2 and not D3. This may also be why you do not get better. Humans make D3 and not D2. Do not take anymore D2.
    The equivalent to 50,000iu once a week is about 8000iu a day. I really do not think this is even going to help you. My guess is I would try 15,000iu a day. Normally we tell people you should then wait 8 weeks to retest your levels. I am not a doctor but for you and several others I have suggested retesting in 4 weeks to see if your levels are increasing at all. If not or very little then I would suggest taking even more. (Why wait 4 more weeks, in your case, to find out your levels are going nowhere.)
    No matter what your levels turn out to be, unless your symptoms are gone, do not decrease the amount you are taking until you are “better”.
    You may need to be very careful in that if you take a higher amount of D and there is NOT enough calcium in your diet (and you have Rickets that is going to need lot’s of calcium), I do not want to see you end up with HYPOcalcemia. That can be life threatening. So you may also want to think about supplemental calcium until you are better. Other things needed for bone health are magnesium, vitamin K, zinc, boron and silicon. Since you probably do not take a multi because of the B6, you may also need to supplement those. Vitamin K directs calcium to bone and away from soft tissue where you do not want it.
    I am pretty sure your B6 is “high” because of not enough Vitamin D. I found out not long ago that Vitamin D can actually make some of the B Vitamins go low and this is sometimes “years” after starting the D. So make sure you do not go from too high, to too low! (Make sure someone keeps checking that level.)
    I always encourage everyone to read http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-and-other-vitamins-and-minerals/. Vitamin A is also important to D and you can read about it there along with the others.
    If you do start taking higher amounts of D and any symptoms get worse or you get any new one’s, come back and tell me. It is probably going to be lack of a mineral or vitamin. I have seen many people with low Vitamin D also have low B12 levels.
    Let me know if you have any more questions. Also let me know how you are progressing.

Answered by  IAW on
    •  IAW on

If the doctors refuse to test levels more often, then the VDC does sell test kits!

Answered by  IAW on
  •  CandiceC on

My doctor specifically prescribed me D3 because she knows I have trouble absorbing. I do take calcium, magnesium, zinc, selenium and biosil. B 12 levels are optimal level. I’ve been to so many doctors including an integrative medicine MD. I find if I take more than the 6,0000 IU a day I get pretty bad diarrhea. I have to be careful with vitamins because I can’t tolerate some of the inactive ingredients (like sorbitol) surely there has to be another way to raise d levels? Isn’t there a shot or infusion I could get?

Answered by  CandiceC on
  •  CandiceC on

I had to pay out the wazoo for the prescription D3 too, since my insurance didn’t cover it!

Answered by  CandiceC on
  •  IAW on

You said “I find if I take more than the 6,0000 IU (6000?) a day I get pretty bad diarrhea.” Wished I would have known that on the original posting.
    So what does the prescription D3 do to you when you take 50,000iu in one day? What happens the next day?
    If the prescription is really D3 then it should not be any different than the over the counter D3 except maybe when it comes to “fillers” or inert ingredients. So maybe switching to Bio Tech brand would help.
    Excerpts from http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/blog/what-company-do-we-recommend-for-vitamin-d-supplements-08-2015/ are: BioTech Pharmacal is in an FDA approved lab, they manufacture high quality Vitamin D capsules at very inexpensive prices and their product is void of dyes, talc, binders, artificial colors and synthetic flavors.
    When people with “gastro” issues like IBS have a hard time absorbing, the next best thing is an “oral spray”. It does work but might be a little more expensive.
    Last suggestion at https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/topic/will-it-work-by-rubbing-d3-lanolin-as-cholecalciferol-extra-ingredients-olive-oil-into-the-skin-to-let-it-absorb-im-asking-this-because-vitamin-d-is-supposed-to-be-on-the-skin-so-surely-i/?highlight=will+it+work+by+rubbing. Read both answers. First one was my suggestion but I had no proof that it would work. Second answer is someone that says it will work but went about it a different way. Along with that “might” be the following. Take the liquid drops and “rub” them on the inside of your “cheeks”. I would think that would be the same as oral spray but might be cheaper and found in higher amounts.
    The symptoms of hypercalcemia include: feeling sick or being sick, poor appetite or loss of appetite, feeling very thirsty, passing urine often, constipation or diarrhea, abdominal pain, muscle weakness or pain, feeling confused, feeling tired and bone pain. So you do get “diarrhea” but since you already have muscle weakness, and bone pain, I’m not sure where to go on that one. Just a thought.
    I hope one of those suggestions will help.

Answered by  IAW on
  •  HannahMC on

If someone can’t get their vitamin D levels up, while doing all the ‘right’ things, than an autoimmune disorder or cancer is a possibility. I think it would be worth investigating these with another doctor

Answered by  HannahMC on
  •  Martha on

Is there a way that I can see all my test results from the last year? It is only allowing me to show my latest result. I wanted to compare the results. thank you

Answered by  Martha on
  •  EvanE on

What if a deficiency isn’t the problem, but toxicity? Vitamin A toxicity. Leafy greens and fruits are rich in carotene. Being chronically poisoned will make you feel horrible all the time. Check out the free ebooks linked and see how your symptoms match up with chronic vitamin A toxicity. Switch to beef and white rice for a month and see how you feel. The vitamin D crowd needs to become aware of this.

https://ggenereuxblog.wordpress.com/

Answered by  EvanE on
  •  HannahMC on

The body stops converting dietary carotenes to true vitamin A (once there is enough)

Answered by  HannahMC on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions