VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
Hello, Im not sure if i have a senitivity to vitamin D or its due to the type of suppléments that i have tried, but each time i have taken it, including the last time which was a liquid , i have become ill, almost like a detox reaction. The last tie i tried it was december last year, i had just 2 drops under my tongue of 1350iu, the next morning i woke up with a very sore throat, headache and this turned into the flu where i was ill for about 3 weeks! I have had very bad bouts of flu for the past 3 years over the winters, which is why i decided to try vitamin d in the first place, but each time i end up with flu symptoms even if i take it the summer, which i did the first time i tried it. Each time ive completely given up. Now i have just read about hypercalcemia on your website and Wonder if i have something like this making me sensitive to vitamin D? How will i know? I really do not want to have another Christmas of being ill, which is why im trying to find out what to do now! I hope you can advise me please. I am 45 years of age and have started to experience symptoms related to perimenopause (maybe?), such as weight gain, hair loss, low energy and irritability. Thank you in advance!

Asked by  clareparis on May 29, 2018

Answers
  •  clareparis on

See title

Answered by  clareparis on
  •  IAW on

Hi ClareParis!
    The symptoms of hypercalcemia include: feeling sick or being sick, poor appetite or loss of appetite, feeling very thirsty, passing urine often, constipation or diarrhea, abdominal pain, muscle weakness or pain, feeling confused, feeling tired and bone pain. Your symptoms do not sound like this to me?
    The symptoms of a Magnesium deficiency can include •Irritability or anxiety, Nausea, Headaches, Insomnia, Fatigue, Muscle cramps/twitching, Weakness and constipation. You said headache so do any of these other symptoms fit?
    Have you had any thyroid tests done? If so do you have the results?
    Look forward to your answers.

Answered by  IAW on
  •  clareparis on

Hello, thank you for your reply! No i havent actually got that far yet as to going to the doctor or asking for tests, apart from a little while ago seeing my doctor regarding heavy periods, to which she said it is due to the perimenopause. I dont suffer from headaches in general, it was only on the occasions that tried the vitamin D. My problem symptoms without taking the vitamin D are low energy, weight gain, hair loss, irritability. Magnesium seems like a good option, perhaps its possible that im deficient in magnesium, thus causing worse symptoms when i take vitamin D? I look forward to hearing bak from you, thank you!

•  IAW on

Yes, it is very possible that if you are deficient in magnesium, that taking Vitamin D will then cause symptoms. Vitamin D uses a lot of magnesium.
      I would concentrate first on the Vitamin D deficiency and if that does not make you better, then you may want to pursue thyroid testing. Low Vitamin D can cause thyroid problems and reproductive problems, such as the heavy bleeding.
      I would get yourself a magnesium supplement just do not get “oxide” it is not very bio available. This means does not absorb well. Usually anything that ends in”ate” is good or chloride. The worse case scenario is if you use too much, you will get loose bowels. Then you need to cut back on how much you are taking. For now aim for 200-300mg. I would take it for several days to a week before attempting the D again. Then use the smallest amount of D you have and see what happens.There is a great section at http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-and-other-vitamins-and-minerals/. This link also talks about other important co-factors that vitamin d needs. It is a “must read”.
      The other thing might be a B12 deficiency which would cause weakness and fatigue. I have had quite a few people have a D deficiency and B12 deficiency at the same time. When you say “flu” you gave the symptoms of sore throat and headache but I did not know if that also includes “weakness and fatigue” and/or any other symptoms. Not wanting to cause you another “episode”, you may want to get the B12 and the magnesium. In this case, though, if it works you will not know if it was one or the other or both that worked. You could also ask the doctor for a B12 test. In this case, if your levels are not at least “500-550pg/ml this equals 461pmol/l” then you are probably deficient, no matter what your labs range is.
      If either or both work, come back and let me know!
      If you have any more questions, just ask!

Answered by  IAW on
  •  IAW on

Yes, it is very possible that if you are deficient in magnesium, that taking Vitamin D will then cause symptoms. Vitamin D uses a lot of magnesium.
    I would concentrate first on the Vitamin D deficiency and if that does not make you better, then you may want to pursue thyroid testing. Low Vitamin D can cause thyroid problems and reproductive problems, such as the heavy bleeding.
    I would get yourself a magnesium supplement just do not get “oxide” it is not very bio available. This means does not absorb well. Usually anything that ends in”ate” is good or chloride. The worse case scenario is if you use too much, you will get loose bowels. Then you need to cut back on how much you are taking. For now aim for 200-300mg. I would take it for several days to a week before attempting the D again. Then use the smallest amount of D you have and see what happens.There is a great section at http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-and-other-vitamins-and-minerals/. This link also talks about other important co-factors that vitamin d needs. It is a “must read”.
    The other thing might be a B12 deficiency which would cause weakness and fatigue. I have had quite a few people have a D deficiency and B12 deficiency at the same time. When you say “flu” you gave the symptoms of sore throat and headache but I did not know if that also includes “weakness and fatigue” and/or any other symptoms. Not wanting to cause you another “episode”, you may want to get the B12 and the magnesium. In this case, though, if it works you will not know if it was one or the other or both that worked. You could also ask the doctor for a B12 test. In this case, if your levels are not at least “500-550pg/ml this equals 461pmol/l” then you are probably deficient, no matter what your labs range is.
    If either or both work, come back and let me know!
    If you have any more questions, just ask!

Answered by  IAW on
  •  clareparis on

Thank you again for your reply, you’ve been really helpful. Im absolutely going to start with the magnesium first, it can only do me good and then after a couple of weeks try out one drop of D3 and see how i get on. Thats interesting too about the B12. I’ll take a look at the link you sent me. Just another question if you dont mind, as “vitamin D uses alot of magnesium” would it not be wise to supplement vitamin D3 with magnesium at the same time? and likewise for vitamin B12, if these three are synergistic,it would perhaps be a good idea to take one supplement containing all 3? Kind regards, Clare

•  IAW on

Hi Clare!
    I think you have a good plan and you should let me know what happens either way. (Then make sure you always check for a reply in case I have any other suggestions.)
    As for the magnesium, if there is enough in your diet, then most people are just fine starting the Vitamin D and get no symptoms. I do try and warn people though because a lot of diets are low in magnesium. I think a lot of people tried to take Vitamin D, not knowing about the magnesium connection and then when they got “symptoms” they blamed it on how “horrible” the Vitamin D made them feel and stop taking it. So it gives D a bad name!
    As for the B12, I have answered questions for awhile now and every once and a while the B12 comes up. So it’s not enough to make everyone take B12 but I try and keep an eye out for maybe people like you who may or may not be low. It’s usually by their symptoms. If the symptoms don’t fit into the “notable” ones for magnesium, then it raises a flag. You were the first one to say “flu” symptoms. Originally it was not on my list of B12 symptoms but when I googled a different way it “came up”.
    Now, I am having problems posting, so I am not sure when this will show up or if you do not see an answer right away, that is why.

Answered by  IAW on
  •  clareparis on

Thanks aagain IAW. Ive actually just come across some information in regards to this conversation, in which the co-factors of vitamin D are explained, magnesium being the most important. Im going to check out some supplements that include at least vitamin D with magnesium (the others are a bonus) and i will make sure that i get back to you at some point and let you know what i came up with and how i get on. Thank you again: kind regards, Clare

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions

December 21st is DDAY. Click here to celebrate the day with us!