VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
Hello, I went to the doctor because I had been feeling extremely fatigued. My vitamin d was severely low at a 7ng/ml. I was prescribed 50,000iu weekly. I am now at a 25ng/ml after 6 weeks. At first I would have a few days where I felt okay but now I feel like it’s getting worse again and I’m noticing some vision problems where the light bothers me and mental problems. I believe some depression has set in because my doctor has prescribed Zoloft. They aren’t finding any other problems and it’s really driving me crazy. Please help.

Asked by  Kijackson1231 on August 24, 2019

Answers
  •  Kijackson1231 on

See title

Answered by  Kijackson1231 on
  •  IAW on

I would be happy to try and help! 🙂
    The 7ng/ml is in the Osteomalacia range. Do you or did you have any bone pain?
    When you were prescribed the 50,000iu once a week, was it for D2 OR D3 and was it only prescribed for 6 weeks or 8 weeks? (Please try and figure out the D2 or D3 part because it is important information for me.)
    Your level of 25ng/ml, is still really low even though the doctors are not seeing it this way. And yes, this can be causing your depression, fatigue and other symptoms.
    When someone is deficient in Vitamin D, we here at the VDC recommend taking 8000-10,000iu PER DAY of D3(not D2) for 8 weeks and then retesting to make sure your levels have recovered enough. For someone with a level as low as yours, that second D test is extremely important.
    So unfortunately you are going to have to start again. For you I would take the 10,000iu of D3 a day which is an “over the counter” product so you do not need the doctor’s help at this point. If you weigh more than 150lbs, you need to tell me because Vitamin D is based on weight also. Take the 10K for 8 weeks, then get retested. I do not know where you live but in the USA and some other countries there are ways to test if your doctor will not co-operate but there is a cost. First, though, try and make the doctor retest you if possible.
    Here is the important part! Your level on 10K of D3 PER DAY after 8 weeks, should end up at 80ng/ml or higher. If it does not, then there is a problem and you are using up way more Vitamin D then normal. If this is the case, then you need to come back and tell me and get more advice!
    Anytime you change amounts of Vitamin D, you should wait 8 weeks till you retest. So if the doctor gave you D2 and not D3, that is why you are still having issues. If they only gave it to you for 6 weeks, it should have been 8 weeks. They should also have been able to recognize that your level should have ended up higher even at 6 weeks.
    Everyone when they are done with the “treatment” part needs to take a maintenance dosage of 5000iu per day, FOREVER. If you weigh more, you have to take more! So if you stopped all vitamin D after the 6 weeks, your level is falling again and that is why you are starting to feel bad again. So “run” do not walk to get the D3. If you can get 5000iu, then take two. You might be able to get one that has 10k in one capsule. If you can get 2000iu capsules, take 5.
    It is very important to read http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-and-other-vitamins-and-minerals/. The co-factor I most try and point out to everyone is magnesium. If there is not enough in your diet, then the Vitamin D may cause new symptoms OR old symptoms to get worse. Vitamin D can also cause other Vitamins and Minerals to “go low”. So if you have any issues, come back and tell me. If you take a multi vitamin, some of this may be covered but there is usually not enough magnesium or the wrong type in multi vitamins. (If you need a magnesium supplement, get something that ends in “ate” and NOT Oxide.”
    I am not a doctor but if you have not taken the Zoloft yet, then you may want to wait and see what happens when you take enough Vitamin D.
    A “healthy” Vitamin D level as defined by the VDC, is a minimum 50ng/ml. At levels at and below 30ng/ml and calcium cannot absorb correctly from the intestines. At levels at and below 40ng/ml, your risk for cancer and autoimmune diseases rises “dramatically”.
    If you have any more questions, just ask!

Answered by  IAW on
  •  Kijackson1231 on

Yes, I have bone pain mainly in my upper spine and neck area. I am taking D2 and it’s for 12 weeks each refill with 3 refills. The 7ng/ml was the result on 7/17/19 and I just went back on 8/19/19 we’re the result was 25ng/ml. I am also anemic and I find during my menstrual my symptoms are worse. I’ve had ultrasounds x-rays and bloodwork and everything is fine except vitamin d.

•  Kijackson1231 on

I weigh 127lbs.

•  IAW on

Low Vitamin D can cause anemia.
    The D2 will do nothing for you, humans make D3 so you need to get D3. (I think the USA is the only country that still has not switched to D3 and I deal with a lot of different countries all over the world.) If you took 8000iu of D3 per day that about equals taking 50,000iu once a week but I recommend the 10K because you have Osteomalacia. Scientific studies have shown that it is better to get Vitamin D on a daily basis rather than in larger, once a week or more dosages.
    If you are not getting at least 500mg of calcium in your daily diet, then you need to take a calcium supplement or else your bones will not heal. And just so you know, any blood test for mineral levels only measures the 1-2% in your blood stream and not total body stores. You can test “in range” and still be deficient and have symptoms of the deficiency. Bones also need magnesium and several other factors and not just calcium.
    So if you do not switch to D3, you will most likely not get better.
    I just needed to know if you weighed over 150lbs. Every thing I said originally is still what you should do. The 10K per day for 8 weeks, retest and then take 5K as a maintenance dosage.
    If you have any more questions, just ask!

Answered by  IAW on
    •  Kijackson1231 on

Okay, so get Vitamin D3, calcium, and magnesium? How much magnesium should I be taking? You have been a big help. 🙏🏼

•  IAW on

See if you can find a magnesium with a low amount like 100 or 150mg. I don’t know how much you will need, so start by taking one or two. If symptoms appear, then try three. You may want to spread them out with two or three meals. If you get too much magnesium, then you will get “loose bowels” and then you need to take less. Sorry but it is a guessing game.
    Forgot the other day to tell you to make sure you take the Vitamin D with a snack or meal that has a “fat” in it for better absorption!

Answered by  IAW on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions

December 21st is DDAY. Click here to celebrate the day with us!