VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
Hello, I have been diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency, my level is 8.0 ng/mL. I am 6 feet tall, around 140 lbs. I was prescribed 50 000 IU once a week for 8 weeks. I am afraid to take such a big one-time dose so I wanted to ask you if what I am planning to do would work. I purchased D3 and plan on taking 8000 IU daily/56 000 weekly for 2 months and get tested again. Thank you!

Asked by  Lara on January 12, 2018

Answers
  •  Lara on

See title

Answered by  Lara on
  •  IAW on

It is better to take smaller amounts of D3 each day rather than large amounts once a week. More importantly is to take D3 and NOT D2 and some times that is what prescriptions are. (If for example you only had 50,000iu of D3 once a week available to you, I would then say take it. Something is better than nothing!)
    So I would take the 8000iu of D3 a day OR since you are “very deficient” take 10,000iu a day. The important thing will be to decide on an amount and take it for 8 weeks. This is so you know what Vitamin D level any given amount will give you.
    So for example if you have read this website you will know we promote maintaining and “healthy” level of 50ng/ml. At levels below 40ng/ml your risk for cancer and autoimmune disease rises “dramatically”! So for example if you take the 8000iu for 8 weeks and you have a level of 30ng/ml you need to treat with a higher amount. If you have a level of 50ng/ml, then you need to keep taking the 8000iu as your maintenance dosage. If your level is 80ng/ml and you have NO other health issues, you can then lower to a maintenance dosage. That dosage is usually 5000iu. I would recommend that since you are tall but are not over 150lbs, that if you go to 5000iu at some point, I would recheck levels to make sure that is enough for “you”.
    Everyone should read http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-and-other-vitamins-and-minerals/.
    Beside the link above, make sure your diet has enough calcium in it because your level is so low.
    If you get ANY symptoms while taking the Vitamin D, come back and let me know it usually means a mineral or sometimes vitamin deficiency. (Magnesium is usually the #1 culprit.)
    If you have any health issues I might recommend even more Vitamin D then the above but please let me know if that is the case.
    Anymore questions just ask!

Answered by  IAW on
  •  Lara on

Thank you very much! My Calcium levels were tested twice and they were within range. My calcium level in December was 9.5 mg/dL. I also am supplementing with magnesium every day. I was a vegetarian for a few years so most likely my B12 is low, so I am supplementing with it as well. No health issues apart from the Vitamin D deficiency symptoms that have been plaguing me for months:-( chest pains,headaches,tiredness,dizziness,heart palpitations, shortness of breath, ringing in the ears,mood swings. I think I have always been deficient (I’ve had similar problems in the past, but they were not as extreme as they are now). So far I’ve taken two 8 000 IU daily doses, but I will increase to 10 000 per your recommendation.
    The 5000 IU maintenance dose, is this a daily dose or a weekly one?
    Thank you again!

Answered by  Lara on
  •  Lara on

Forgot to mention that my Hemoglobin level was 12.6, non-fasting Glucose 127 in November 2017. I had another test in December in a different laboratory and the Hemoglobin level was 11.6 g/dL, non-fasting Glucose 99.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Lara.
    Answered by  Lara on
  •  IAW on

I am not a doctor but according to the internet your Hemoglobin level is a little low at the moment. This could be from lack of Vitamin D.
    The 5000iu maintenance is a “daily dose”.
    Here is another lesson for the day. I probably should have said this the first time. Your level is below 10ng/ml and that could mean “adult rickets” or osteomalacia. When they take a “calcium” level this measures the 1-2% that is in your blood stream and NOT total body stores like what is or is not in your bones. By the time blood levels go “low” you are in serious trouble. You can also have symptoms of low calcium (hypocalcemia) even before the actually levels go low.
    It is actually Vitamin D that helps calcium absorb from the intestines. So “no” Vitamin D and calcium is not getting thru to your bones. There was a time when Vitamin D deficiency was treated with Vitamin D AND people were told to take or given calcium supplements. (So many of your symptoms actually correspond to low calcium which makes sense.)
    So if any of this changes your mind, you may want to take some calcium supplements at least for a while. My guess would be no more than 500mg. If you are not taking a multi vitamin, you may also want to consider that at least for a while. Vitamin K directs calcium to bone and away from soft tissue. So make sure there is enough in your diet.

Answered by  IAW on
  •  Lara on

Thank you! I purchased multivitamin and Vitamin K2. What do you recommend for a daily K2 dose for 8 000-10 000 IU D3 daily? Thanks

Answered by  Lara on
  •  IAW on

Other people have asked this before. Right now the K2 (or K) dose does not increase as you take higher amounts of Vitamin D. The recommendation is 90-120 mcg a day. There are no studies, at least right now,that show you need more Vitamin K with higher amounts of Vitamin D. What science does show is it takes Vitamin K to move calcium away from soft tissues and to where it belongs, for example bones.

Answered by  IAW on
  •  Lara2 on

Hello, I had to do a new registration under Lara2. I got tested yesterday and I was surprised with my results. My Vitamin D came back at 55 ng, Calcium – 9.2. Since I was taking liquid D3 and it was a bit difficult to dose, I must have been taking 10 000 iu on some or most of the days. Unfortunately though some of my symptoms went away, I am still struggling on some days and I do not feel back up to 100%. What dose should I keep taking moving forward? Thank you

Answered by  Lara2 on
  •  IAW on

Sorry I do not know why you had to register again but at least you could post on the “old post”.
    So you took about 10,000iu for 8 weeks and now have a level of 55ng/ml. We here at the VDC believe in a healthy level of 50ng/ml. So at this point you still have to take 10,000iu or your levels will drop.
    Since you also said you were still not feeling completely better, this is another good reason not to decrease anything. At least not yet. So my suggestion to you is to keep taking the 10,000iu. The next part is a “guess” on the timing. Do this for another month or two. IF you still feel at that time that you are not making any progress on your symptoms, then I would increase the amount of Vitamin D you are taking and see if that helps. If it does help, come back and let me know and then I will try and advise further what to do for the future daily amounts under those circumstances.
    The one thing I do not know is this. For example the 10,000iu only got you to 55ng/ml AND you still do not feel well. So maybe while you are still getting better, you may need that higher amount to “make repairs”. Maybe once you are totally well then “maybe” later if we took your level on the same 10,000iu amount per day, maybe your level will be a lot higher. At that point maybe you can use a lower daily amount. Maybe you will end up needing 10,000iu a day forever just to keep your level at 50ng/ml. If you end up needing a higher amount to feel well then maybe “Lara’s” genetic makeup may need a level of 80ng/ml for her to feel well.
    With your original very low level, you probably could have taken 15-20,000iu a day for 8 weeks and maybe you would have been totally better by now. Some people like to stick with closer to what a doctor would do which would be the 8000iu a day and others seem more than willing to go a lot higher if it will make them better faster.
    Here is the part where I have to let you decide. If you want start taking 15,000iu a day right now and see if helps. If so take that until your all of your symptoms disappear or two months whichever comes first. Then come back and let me know your status and we’ll go from there.
    Hope I explained well enough and if you have more questions or need further clarification, just ask!

Answered by  IAW on
  •  Lara2 on

Thank you very much for the detailed response! I will think about if I should start taking more than 10 000. What worries me is that I might have another deficiency B12, folate or iron and that is why I still feel off despite getting my D level up. Or it could be like you suggested that my body is still repairing after the D deficiency. My doctor refused to do any other tests but D and Calcium and I was extremely upset as I felt I had to fight with her to even check my Calcium:-( Along with D and co-factors I have been taking 200 mcg B12. Do you think I should increase it to 1000 mcg daily without knowing if I am deficient or not?

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  Lara2.
    Answered by  Lara2 on
  •  IAW on

I can sympathize on the whole “doctor” thing!
    You kind of have to think of it as your own “mini” science experiment. If you take 15,000iu a day and those symptoms do not get “any” better in let’s say 4 weeks, than yes maybe it is something else. If they do get better, than it is Vitamin D connected.
    Do you still have all of these symptoms but just to a lesser degree, “chest pains,headaches,tiredness,dizziness,heart palpitations, shortness of breath, ringing in the ears,mood swings”?
    Here is another thing to consider. Have you ever had your thyroid levels checked? If so do you have those results? If perhaps for example you have Hashimoto’s which would give you hypothyroidism, this is caused by “antibodies”. Most doctors do not even run those tests they only do a TSH test. Autoimmune disease appears to be caused by low Vitamin D. So even if your doctor ran the test and it was “positive”, the answer to battling it may be Vitamin D but it may be a lot more than what you are taking right now or at least take a lot longer on the amount you are taking.

Answered by  IAW on
  •  Lara2 on

These are my TSH results:
    July 2017 – TSH – 1.12, FT4 – 16.45
    December 2017 – TSH – 1.004
    As far as the symptoms – I still have headaches, mood swings and to a lesser degree chest pains,(which now feel more like discomfort rather than pain), heart palpitations and ringing in the ears. Since I started supplementing, my heart palpitations have improved and I did not have a single one for 2 months !But in the beginning of this month I had an episode and then the other day at the doc’s office again, my heart was racing like crazy. I was surprised when I got my results back since my D level was 55 and I still had an anxiety and elevated heart rate. I also had some gut discomfort last week. It is not that bad right now, but I still feel it from time to time.

Answered by  Lara2 on
  •  IAW on

Going to see the doctor can make anyone’s heart race!
    Could maybe be Grave’s which is the opposite of Hashimoto’s. According to internet “However, 10% of patients will have an increased total or free T3 level in the face of a normal FT4 and suppressed TSH level, a condition termed “T3 toxicosis”. So doctor did not check T3 levels and at least in December your TSH was not “obviously suppressed” at 0.4 or below. Just like most regular doctors, though, they all seem to think there is “no” in between. What I mean by that is maybe eventually without any Vitamin D you would show Graves disease. Maybe if your TSH was taken every 6 months it would keep showing a downward trend or if they check your FT3 levels they might be high without your TSH being extremely low yet. They all seem to think you go to bed “healthy” and “wake up” with a disease and there is no “in between” gradual decline.
    I have no scientific proof on this one, but I believe that in times of “stress” whether or not that is physical or mental, you use more Vitamin D. So if the symptoms happen again, try and take note of the “circumstances” surrounding it. If the 10,000iu is not really enough, at least at this point in time, then “stress” might bring out some of your symptoms every once and awhile until you progress further.
    Something I never really get around to saying is this. Let say for example you increase to 15,000iu, are all better and drop down to 10,000iu and that keeps you “healthy” and feeling well. You experimented with less than 10K but then feel worse. So 10K it is. Now you are in a terrible car accident with broken bones and internal damage. Well if the 10K kept you “healthy” then you just may need more Vitamin D than that for a while to repair all of the damage from the car accident. If the “1918 flu” comes around again, you probably need a lot more than the 10K.
    Let me know what you decide to do or come back in a couple of months and let me know how you are.
    Of course if you have more questions or comments, let me know!

Answered by  IAW on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions