VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
Hello, I am new here and looking for advice regarding vitamin D.

Asked by  davizzel on January 23, 2018

Answers
  •  davizzel on

See title

Answered by  davizzel on
  •  davizzel on

I apologize for the double post, I accidentally hit submit.

I am a 31 year old male. Healthy with no chronic health conditions. I weigh 170lbs and I am 5’5″ in height. As a child I remembering dealing with some anxiety, while it was there it was nothing major and definetely manageable. Then 2 years ago, out of no where, anxiety sky rockets and I felt horrible. This lead me to the doctors office, prescribed Citalopram 20mg. Was on this for about 8 months and got off it due to terrible weight gain. I now suffer from anxiety, brain fog that leaves me feeling confused and forgetful. I feel exhausted when I feel the anxiety come on, I have hard time falling asleep during these periods. Just a feeling of illness, which of course is a symptom of anxiety.

Went back to doc thinking something else is wrong. Standard blood work was performed and everything came back good. He did a blood panel, thyroids, blood count etc… Do these blood tests check for low Vitamin D? Also, I had a Diverticulitis episode about 8 years ago, in which a section of my colon was removed. I recovered from that, but once in a while get bloated, uneasy feeling in stomach.

I am a student, work full-time and also a father. I hardly workout except in the summer since I live in the midwest USA. I do not take any vitamins other then a Vitamin B-12 supplement I purchased in hopes of helping with the anxiety.

Sorry for such a long post, but I am looking for alternatives. Anything you can recommend would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for having such a great site with so much information!!

Answered by  davizzel on
  •  IAW on

Vitamin D tests are not necessarily one of the “standard tests”. (Maybe in the future.) You could call the doctor’s office and ask them if it was one of the tests and if by chance it was, ask them for the “level”. Do not settle for it was “in range”, you want the exact number. If they did not take one, you could ask for one. If that doesn’t work, then the VDC sells test kits. It would be really great to know what your starting level is but if you cannot do this, then you can try the following.
    We usually recommend 5000iu a day of Vitamin D3 for a person weighing 150lbs. If you are extremely deficit, then usually you take more than that for 8 weeks and then retest your levels to make sure they have improved to a “healthy level”. For us this means a minimum level of 50ng/ml. If your levels are then “high” enough, you can then probably take a maintenance dosage of 5000iu, forever. If you weigh more, than you have to take more. So you can try anywhere from 5000-10,000iu a day. If you take the higher amount, I would do so until you feel well again, then try a lower maintenance dose which for you may be more like 6-7000iu a day.
    If you decide to take a lower dose and you do not feel better in 8 weeks, come back and tell me.
    The anxiety is probably coming from a lack of Vitamin D but might also come from a lack of magnesium. So if you start taking the Vitamin D and the anxiety gets worse, then it is because you need to take a magnesium supplement. (Vitamin D uses a lot of magnesium.) Sometimes people have to stop taking the D and take several days to a week of magnesium before trying the D again.
    I would keep taking the B12 for the time being.
    You need to read http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-and-other-vitamins-and-minerals/. It is very important!
    Vitamin D should only make you feel better not worse. So if your symptoms get any worse or different ones appear, then come back and tell me. (It is usually a mineral deficiency.)
    Everyone in your family should be taking Vitamin D!
    If you have more questions, just ask!
    There is a connection to low vitamin D levels and diverticulitis.

Answered by  IAW on
  •  davizzel on

Thank you very much for your sound advice! I will follow up with my doctor and request if in fact my D levels were checked, if not I will proceed with testing. What are optimum dosages of magnesium when supplementing Vitamin D at 5-7k IUs? Either way I will purchase Vitamin D and Magenisum asap and start supplementing. I will keep you informed of my progress. Thank you!

Answered by  davizzel on
  •  IAW on

The magnesium is not really tied to how much Vitamin D you take. You do not need any if there is enough in your diet but most diets are low in magnesium intake. So maybe try a minimum of 200mg but you might need more. If you take too much magnesium, it will cause loose bowels, so keep that in mind. If that is the case, then you just need to cut back on the amount you take.
    You should test before you take any Vitamin D if possible.

Answered by  IAW on
  •  davizzel on

Ok so before I start taking vitamin D I should be tested? Is this to determine the amount of vitamin I should take or this may rule out even having to take any vitamin d?

Thanks!

Answered by  davizzel on
  •  davizzel on

FYI…I started with about 2k IUs in a multivitamin that also has magnesium. But I will follow up.

Answered by  davizzel on
  •  IAW on

The reason to get tested first, is so we can see just how low your level is and therefore how much you should take for the first 8 weeks. It also gives us a base to compare to once you have taken any given amount for 8 weeks. So I will give you an example. Let’s say you tested and your level is 10ng/ml. This is very low and I would suggest the 10,000iu a day. If you tested and your level was 29ng/ml, then I would probably say take the 5-6000iu a day. Now let’s say at the end of 8 weeks and your beginning level was 10ng/ml and it is now 80ng/ml, you could go to a maintenance dosage which will then keep your level at our recommended 50ng/ml or above. Now let’s say your beginning level was the 29ng/ml and you took 6000iu a day for 8 weeks and your level is now 32ng/ml, something is wrong. You either need to take a lot more or you might not be absorbing the Vitamin D. Then we would have to try and figure out what is causing this.
    The odds are you are Vitamin D deficient! The only thing we do not know is how far your level is below 50ng/ml. At levels below 40ng/ml studies show your chance for cancer and autoimmune disease rises “dramatically”.

Answered by  IAW on
  •  davizzel on

Wow , thank you for such detailed explanations. Please know, I truly appreciate your input in my desperate situation for reducing my anxiety.

Answered by  davizzel on
  •  davizzel on

Hello,

I am back again, after continuing to feel ill because of my anxiety I decided to contact my doctors office and request a Vitamin D test. Now the doctor did not seem convinced with moving forward with this test, due to ” no belief in vitamin D deficiency from his standpoint”. He did though, offer to do it If I keep insisting. Now, do you recommend purchasing the in home test from Vitamin D Council or the doctors office test?

One important thing I left out in a summary of my health – I had a portion of my colon removed about 8 years ago, I am in my 30’s and suffered a terrible episode of Diverticulitis in my early 20’s, which lead to a portion of my colon being removed. While this surgery was being performed, my appendix was also removed. I suffer from bloating/indigestion issues since then. I hope I can find a resolution to my ailments with Vitamin D3 , but want to find my current levels to have a planned method of attack!

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Answered by  davizzel on
  •  IAW on

You said “Do you recommend purchasing the in home test from Vitamin D Council or the doctors office test?” Either one will work.
    https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vitamin-d-councils-home-test-kit-not-sacrifice-quality-convenience-according-study/.
    Are you still taking the 2000iu or more? (A whole month and a half has gone by!) If I knew you were going to wait this long to test, I would have told you to start a higher amount a month and a half ago.

Answered by  IAW on
  •  davizzel on

Yes, I apologize! I let a few good days put me off from testing, and now all this time has passed. I stopped taking the multi vitamin that contains the d3 supplement. I felt jittery and did not like the feeling. Only thing I am taking is the vitamin b12 . I will be purchasing the home test kit today. And will follow up with test results!!!

Answered by  davizzel on
  •  IAW on

“I felt jittery and did not like the feeling.” Probably need that “magnesium” supplement. If you cannot get the 2000iu to work, more is not going to be any better.

Answered by  IAW on
  •  davizzel on

Will be starting magnesium today.

Answered by  davizzel on
  •  davizzel on

Hello,

Just an update. I got the order from my doctor and will be getting my vitamin D and B levels checked.

I have been supplementing with magnesium citrate for the past 5 days, my anxiety seems to have reduced because of this….but I have developed a headache, concentrated on the back portion of my head. Not sure if this may be a cause of the magnesium? I never suffer from headaches.

Thanks!

Answered by  davizzel on
  •  IAW on

I doubt that it is the magnesium itself. Now if taking the magnesium is “uncovering” another Vitamin or Mineral deficiency, that might be the answer. (It’s only a theory on my part and not scientific.) Lack of Vitamin D can cause headaches. So now that your body has adequate magnesium, it may be trying to make some other “processes” happen but for those it needs, for instance, adequate Vitamin D.

Answered by  IAW on
  •  davizzel on

Will have the results of the vitamin D panel soon! I appreciate your continued support!

Answered by  davizzel on
  •  IAW on

Your welcome!

Answered by  IAW on
  •  davizzel on

Hello!

I am back with the results finally.

22 ng/ml of vitamin d levels is where I am at, per my doctor, this is below range. My B12 levels were excellent at 1869 , not sure the measurement scale, but in excellent range per doc.

Now , I have been supplementing with magnesium for a little over a week everyday, the doctor will be prescribing me vitamin D. But of course this is why I am here. What do you recommend as starting dose? And do I continue the magnesium and introduce another supplement?

Thnanks!

Answered by  davizzel on
  •  IAW on

So whatever you do if the doctor gives you a “prescription” for Vitamin D, and it is D2 and not D3, do NOT take the D2. Much better for humans to take over-the-counter D3!
    DO NOT take any less than 5000iu but at your weight you should take 6-7000iu. If he says to take 50,000iu once a week for 6-8 weeks, don’t do that. Take 8-10,000iu a DAY for the same amount of time. Taking Vitamin D daily is better for you. Doctors really should retest at the end of the 8 weeks to make sure your levels have increased. To be healthy you need a level of at least 50ng/ml. So if the doctor will not retest, come back and let me know. You will have to take the Vitamin D forever or else your levels will plummet again. Sometimes people do not understand this part. Even some doctors don’t understand this.
    Now you complained that the Vitamin D made you feel “jittery” in the past but you are now taking magnesium. So try the 2000iu again and see what happens. If that goes OK but you get jittery again if you increase the amount of Vitamin D, then you might have to increase the magnesium amount. You might have to take the magnesium forever. Later once you are feeling well and still taking the Vitamin D, then maybe you can try without the magnesium and see what happens.
    What did you mean by introduce another supplement?

Answered by  IAW on
  •  davizzel on

Sorry , I am a little confused on the daily amount I should take of vitamin D3. I am on my way to get my prescription, although I will not be taking it, just to see what dosage he recommends.

By introduce supplements- any other vitamins I should take ?

Last thing- I think I felt jittery because the vitamin D3 I was taking was in part of a multivitamin. Again this is just an assumption, but hopefully this will not be a problem when I solely introduce D3 by itself.

Answered by  davizzel on
  •  IAW on

Let me know how much the doctor says to take and then I will comment again!

Answered by  IAW on
  •  davizzel on

50k I.U daily for a week, then once daily.

Answered by  davizzel on
  •  IAW on

Sorry I do not think you got the directions correct. If you did, I have never heard of this.
    Usually doctors do 50,000iu ONCE a week for 8 weeks.
    So if it is 50,000iu ONCE a week then that translates to about 8000iu a day. If you want to you can take 10,000iu a day. If you hadn’t seen a doctor it would be what I would tell you anyway.
    Either the doctor should test you in 8 weeks or you should buy a test kit and do it yourself to make sure your level has risen. Then come back and tell me what your level is and we will talk about a maintenance dosage.
    After 8 weeks,come back and let me know how you feel.

Answered by  IAW on
  •  davizzel on

Hello,

Just a small update. Been taking 10k D3 daily for 4 days now. I’ve developed loose bowels for the past 2 days. I am unsure if this is from the D3 or I might be taking too much magnesium. Should the magnesium be taken all in one dose, or broken into several doses. My anxiety has risen lately, not sure what happened.

Last thing – can I introduce a multivitamin along with the d3 and magnesium I am taking?

Thank you

Answered by  davizzel on
  •  IAW on

I try and split my magnesium up. You can try that first but if it persists, then you will have to cut back on how much you are taking.
    If your anxiety has risen, it does not appear to be from lack of magnesium if we are going by the loose bowels. So maybe the D is causing a deficit in B Vitamins or something else. So maybe the multi will help.Just remember the multi will probably have magnesium in it too!
    If you take the multi but the anxiety does not go away, then you might have to take a lower amount of Vitamin D and see if it stops.

Answered by  IAW on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions