VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
Good morning! A little background to start – I'm a 26 year old female, weigh 206lbs and am about 5ft 5in tall. I have been getting dizzy and have been so drowsy I will fall asleep if I sit for more than about 20 minutes (this includes when I'm driving – I have to pull over and walk for a few minutes almost every time I drive or I will fall asleep behind the wheel). I went in to my doctor and they ran labs and found that my Vitamin D (The test was labeled VITAMIN D 25 HYDROXY) was 13.2ng/mL with standard ranges being 32.0 – 100.0 ng/mL. I am also dehydrated. I guess what I'm asking is how bad is that for Vitamin D levels and what should I do about it? I won't see my doctor until next week.

Asked by  kbateman0522@gmail.com on February 13, 2018

Answers
  •  kbateman0522@gmail.com on

See title

Answered by  kbateman0522@gmail.com on
  •  IAW on

Most people see the doctor first and then come here to ask if what their doctor says is correct.
    Your level is low. Here at the VDC we believe in maintaining a “healthy” level of 50ng/ml. At levels of 40ng/ml and below your chances for cancer and autoimmune disease rises “dramatically”.
    With your weight and low level, I would take 10,000iu a day. Do this for eight weeks and then you should have your levels retested. Depending on what your level is at that point will determine what your “maintenance dosage” should be. For example your level is now 52ng/ml, then you keep taking 10,000iu. If your level is 70ng/ml, then you could probably take 8000iu a day. If your level is lower than 50ng/ml then you will need to take more than 10,000iu.
    What ever you do only take D3 and not prescription D2 and take it on a daily basis and not a once a week larger amount. If your doctor says 10,000iu is way too much, it is not.
    Please read http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-and-other-vitamins-and-minerals/. It is very important!
    If after 8 weeks your health is not better or has gotten somewhat better but not all the way, come back and let me know.

Answered by  IAW on
    •  kbateman0522@gmail.com on

Thank you for the information! I figured that’s what this was for but instead of worrying myself silly until I go to my doctor I thought I’d post here. I do have one other question: the maintenance dose – does this mean that more than likely I won’t regulate Vitamin D normally and will need to supplement long term?

Answered by  kbateman0522@gmail.com on
  •  IAW on

If I had your symptoms, I would be running to the drug store to pick up some Vitamin D. It sounds like you could take almost a weeks worth before even seeing the doctor.
    This supplementation is “forever” because Vitamin D needs to be replenished daily.
    You can read more at https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/how-do-i-get-the-vitamin-d-my-body-needs/. Basically you have to live somewhere between 0-35 degrees latitude because that is the only place you can go outside all year and make Vitamin D, take most of your clothes off, and go outside between 10am-2pm but preferably 12noon. If you have dark skin you have to stay out about 3-4 times longer than a person with light skin. (That was the short version.) Second choice is to get a sun lamp and do the same thing. There is never enough in food to power a human body.
    One problem I have seen is that doctor’s will treat someone and then assume once treated they will be fine. It doesn’t work that way.
    Vitamin D is based on weight. So if at any point you lost a lot of weight, then you may be able to use a smaller maintenance dosage.

Answered by  IAW on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions