VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
Can i take 50k hi dee supplement during pregnancy? If not, then whats the safest dose for pregnancy?

Asked by  Aisharoon on February 9, 2019

Answers
  •  Aisharoon on

See title

Answered by  Aisharoon on
  •  IAW on

You can only take it if it is D3 and NOT D2 which is also called Ergocalciferol.
    It is very safe and we highly recommend taking enough Vitamin D so your baby has enough to develop correctly.
    If it is NOT D3 then you will have to buy D3 which is an “Over the Counter” supplement. If this is the case take 8000-10,000iu of D3 per day for 8 weeks. I assume someone is trying to treat a deficiency you have. So they should treat you for 8 weeks and then retest you to make sure your levels have recovered enough. If they have, then you need to keep taking the D3 but take a smaller amount which we call a maintenance dosage. IF you do not do this, then your levels will plummet again and it will not be healthy for the baby. To have a healthy baby, you need adequate Vitamin D levels. This maintenance dosage is usually 5000iu a day for a person weighing 150lbs. If you weigh more, you have to take more. BUT during pregnancy, you should take no less than 6000iu a day.
    Everyone should read http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-and-other-vitamins-and-minerals/. It is very important!
    If you have any more questions, just ask!

Answered by  IAW on
  •  Aisharoon on

Thank you so much for the detailed response! Yes, my vit D level is 5.63ng/ml. I’m prescribed 50,000 IU of D3 per week for 8 weeks. Since Im planning for the second child so i was concerned about its safety during pregnancy. Is it safe to conceive after im done with 6 weeks of my supplements course? And for the next 2 weeks, should i continue the same 50k units or go for the lower dose?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Aisharoon.
  •  IAW on

I thought you were already pregnant and therefore did not want to scare you. Your level is “extremely low”. It is in the Osteomalacia range. Knowing everything I know about Vitamin D levels and healthy pregnancies, I would do the following.
    I would “not” even conceive until the 8 weeks is up AND your levels are tested. We here at the VDC believe in maintaining a “healthy” level of 50ng/ml. At levels of 40ng/ml and below, your risk for cancer and autoimmune diseases rises “dramatically”. An unhealthy level can lead to all sorts of pregnancy complications and Autism for your child.
    At the end of 8 weeks, your level should be more like 80ng/ml, if this is so then you can take the maintenance dosage and try and conceive. Please note low levels in males can also interfere in reproduction.
    The only way to tell if you have fully recovered is taking that test at the end of 8 weeks and not sooner. So you have to keep taking the 50,000iu for the next two weeks. If at the end of 8 weeks, taking 50,000iu a week your level is not more like the 80ng/ml I mentioned above, and is lower, that would indicate you should still be treated at a higher level of D for awhile. If that happens you should come back for more advice.
    What I usually tell people is if at the end of 8 weeks, your level is not where is should be, come back and tell me and give me your new level. In all these years I have had very few people have any issues and usually are better in that time frame.
    If you have any more questions, just ask!

Answered by  IAW on
    •  Aisharoon on

Ohhh i never knew it was such a serious issue!! Thanku for letting me know. I will definitely focus on bringing up my D levels first. There is one more question… 4 days after having my first dose of 50k IU, I again tested my D levels whose report I will get within few days. Would one time dose affect my D levels and give wrong reading?

•  IAW on

I am very surprised that you do not have a lot of symptoms to go with that level.
    The best way I can answer your question is this. What ever level you get after taking it 4 days after the 1st dose, don’t get discouraged. I know that 50,000iu “sounds” like a lot but it really isn’t when it comes to Vitamin D. If you wouldn’t mind letting me know what level you did get, I would find it interesting. If your level changed very much or at all it would surprise me. So it is not a “wrong” reading just one that you really cannot count on either way.
    I am not a doctor or scientist. I just know that it is an accumulative affect that needs to take place over an 8 week period. So “anytime” you change the amount taken, you need to wait 8 weeks before you can retest to know what level you will have on any particular amount of Vitamin D. So under normal circumstances if you weigh an average of 150lbs and take 50,000iu once a week or 8000iu per day, you should end up at a certain level which should be around 80ng/ml. If you had any symptoms before you started, they should be gone by then. If so then when you decrease the amount taken to the lower maintenance dosage, it should in theory take 8 weeks till it reaches the 50ng/ml. It does not happen overnight.
    Since this is a 2nd child, please note the following. If a breast feeding mother does not take a minimum 6000iu of D3 a day, there will be no Vitamin D in your breast milk. Although people want to promote breast feeding as best, it will lack Vitamin D unless you as the mother, have a high enough level. So if this does not happen, then we recommend 1000iu per day of D3 for infants up to 25lbs. If you use formula, I believe(guessing) it contains about 500iu total per day. We recommend 1000iu per day so that would mean supplementing 500iu more per day. So for children it is 1000iu total per day up to 25lbs and add another 1000iu for every 25lbs over this. (Sunshine can factor into this, depending on where you live.)
    If you have more questions, just ask.

Answered by  IAW on
  •  Aisharoon on

Yes im already giving my toddler vit d drops. I add 4 drops in his food. I will let you know my d level as soon as i get my report. I do have symtpoms—for the past 3 months I was going through backpain, muscle pain, tiredness, cramps, leg spasms and headaches. Any kind of physical activity that lasts for 15- 20 mins results in severe backpain, breathlessness and hot flushes across my entire body. All of a sudden i feel the urge to lay on my back and become idle. Because of this pain I went through severe mood swings and frustration!!

•  IAW on

OK now your symptoms match your level.
    Hope you feel better soon!
    Let me know if you have any more questions! 🙂

Answered by  IAW on
  •  Aisharoon on

Ok so I got my report! My d level, after having first dose of 50,000IU supplement, came out to be 10ng/ml

•  IAW on

Vitamin D levels are a cumulative affect. That is why you have to wait 8 weeks before retesting. It is the only way to know what level you will have on any particular amount of Vitamin D. I would also assume a lot of Vitamin D gets used up in the beginning to do a lot of repairs from being deficient.

Answered by  IAW on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions

December 21st is DDAY. Click here to celebrate the day with us!