VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
Reply To: Hello – I hope you can help me. I am 51, height 59 1/8" (150.5cm), weight approx. 81 lbs (37kg).  Ethnic origin. I had blood test done on December 31 2018 – because I had to have bunion surgery on both feet – which was carried out on January 14, 2019. From these blood test results, my doctor said my Hemoglobine was low and so prescribed me Bion3 multivitamin for 30 days. I had a blood test again on March 19, 2019 (approx. 2 months after my bunion surgery).My doctor said that my vitamin D was low (6ng/mL) and so prescribed me 100,000 IU (2ml in a vial) – to be taken once a month for six months – and to have a blood test again after 10 weeks during this period. During this consultation, I also mentioned to him that I had developed severe back pain and was struggling to bend over even to put my shoes on and I had pain especially in my knees and was struggling to walk.  (But he saw for himself that I was hobbling around like an old lady).  He said to see a physiotherapist as this pain was due to the fact that I have not been walking because of the surgery on my feet. So I took the 1 dose (100,000 IU) on March 26, 2019. After coming home, I took another look at the test results for the vitamin D and took the time to read the short paragraph under the table of recommendation values of vitamin D. It was the words “rickets” and “osteomalacia” that caught my attention.  So, I did my research on those and bearing in mind my symptoms, came to the conclusion that it’s extremely likely that I may have osteomalacia as I had rickets as a baby. Based on all the research and info I have gathered – I was thinking of taking a dose of cholecalciferol D3 40,000 UI daily for 1 week together with a dose of K2 MK7 600mcg, then reducing this to twice a week. I should receive these 2 items by this weekend. I am reaching out to you because I would appreciate your thoughts on this and just to make sure that I am on the right track to ‘recovery’ and not my ‘grave’. When I think about it now, I believe that my vitamin D levels have always been low (because of several symptoms over the past few years especially, without realizing it’s not normal) but because of this recent surgery, my body has been drained of what little supply I had and has been directed towards the healing and regrowth of bone in the feet – which has now basically left me crippled and not able to do simple daily chores.  It really saddens me, and I am not coping very well at the moment to say the least. I was also planning to have a retest after 2 months perhaps – and to also request to be tested for Total Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin A, Zinc.  I don’t want to keep going for frequent tests so I’m trying to think of anything that is important and that matters. I can send you the detailed results of my blood test if that would be of any help. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards

Home Forums Ask the Vitamin D Council Hello – I hope you can help me. I am 51, height 59 1/8" (150.5cm), weight approx. 81 lbs (37kg).  Ethnic origin. I had blood test done on December 31 2018 – because I had to have bunion surgery on both feet – which was carried out on January 14, 2019. From these blood test results, my doctor said my Hemoglobine was low and so prescribed me Bion3 multivitamin for 30 days. I had a blood test again on March 19, 2019 (approx. 2 months after my bunion surgery).My doctor said that my vitamin D was low (6ng/mL) and so prescribed me 100,000 IU (2ml in a vial) – to be taken once a month for six months – and to have a blood test again after 10 weeks during this period. During this consultation, I also mentioned to him that I had developed severe back pain and was struggling to bend over even to put my shoes on and I had pain especially in my knees and was struggling to walk.  (But he saw for himself that I was hobbling around like an old lady).  He said to see a physiotherapist as this pain was due to the fact that I have not been walking because of the surgery on my feet. So I took the 1 dose (100,000 IU) on March 26, 2019. After coming home, I took another look at the test results for the vitamin D and took the time to read the short paragraph under the table of recommendation values of vitamin D. It was the words “rickets” and “osteomalacia” that caught my attention.  So, I did my research on those and bearing in mind my symptoms, came to the conclusion that it’s extremely likely that I may have osteomalacia as I had rickets as a baby. Based on all the research and info I have gathered – I was thinking of taking a dose of cholecalciferol D3 40,000 UI daily for 1 week together with a dose of K2 MK7 600mcg, then reducing this to twice a week. I should receive these 2 items by this weekend. I am reaching out to you because I would appreciate your thoughts on this and just to make sure that I am on the right track to ‘recovery’ and not my ‘grave’. When I think about it now, I believe that my vitamin D levels have always been low (because of several symptoms over the past few years especially, without realizing it’s not normal) but because of this recent surgery, my body has been drained of what little supply I had and has been directed towards the healing and regrowth of bone in the feet – which has now basically left me crippled and not able to do simple daily chores.  It really saddens me, and I am not coping very well at the moment to say the least. I was also planning to have a retest after 2 months perhaps – and to also request to be tested for Total Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin A, Zinc.  I don’t want to keep going for frequent tests so I’m trying to think of anything that is important and that matters. I can send you the detailed results of my blood test if that would be of any help. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards Reply To: Hello – I hope you can help me. I am 51, height 59 1/8" (150.5cm), weight approx. 81 lbs (37kg).  Ethnic origin. I had blood test done on December 31 2018 – because I had to have bunion surgery on both feet – which was carried out on January 14, 2019. From these blood test results, my doctor said my Hemoglobine was low and so prescribed me Bion3 multivitamin for 30 days. I had a blood test again on March 19, 2019 (approx. 2 months after my bunion surgery).My doctor said that my vitamin D was low (6ng/mL) and so prescribed me 100,000 IU (2ml in a vial) – to be taken once a month for six months – and to have a blood test again after 10 weeks during this period. During this consultation, I also mentioned to him that I had developed severe back pain and was struggling to bend over even to put my shoes on and I had pain especially in my knees and was struggling to walk.  (But he saw for himself that I was hobbling around like an old lady).  He said to see a physiotherapist as this pain was due to the fact that I have not been walking because of the surgery on my feet. So I took the 1 dose (100,000 IU) on March 26, 2019. After coming home, I took another look at the test results for the vitamin D and took the time to read the short paragraph under the table of recommendation values of vitamin D. It was the words “rickets” and “osteomalacia” that caught my attention.  So, I did my research on those and bearing in mind my symptoms, came to the conclusion that it’s extremely likely that I may have osteomalacia as I had rickets as a baby. Based on all the research and info I have gathered – I was thinking of taking a dose of cholecalciferol D3 40,000 UI daily for 1 week together with a dose of K2 MK7 600mcg, then reducing this to twice a week. I should receive these 2 items by this weekend. I am reaching out to you because I would appreciate your thoughts on this and just to make sure that I am on the right track to ‘recovery’ and not my ‘grave’. When I think about it now, I believe that my vitamin D levels have always been low (because of several symptoms over the past few years especially, without realizing it’s not normal) but because of this recent surgery, my body has been drained of what little supply I had and has been directed towards the healing and regrowth of bone in the feet – which has now basically left me crippled and not able to do simple daily chores.  It really saddens me, and I am not coping very well at the moment to say the least. I was also planning to have a retest after 2 months perhaps – and to also request to be tested for Total Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin A, Zinc.  I don’t want to keep going for frequent tests so I’m trying to think of anything that is important and that matters. I can send you the detailed results of my blood test if that would be of any help. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards

IAW on

Grave’s Disease is a disease caused by antibodies against your thyroid. It would also be called hyperthyroidism. In layman’s terms it “speeds up” your system unlike “hypo”thyroidism that slows your system. Both cause health issues.
Hyperthyroidism can speed up bone turnover and cause Osteoporosis. It can cause weight loss and that is why I asked about your weight. It can cause B12 levels to go low. The problem will be that if your doctor ONLY does the TSH test, at this moment it is not concerning because it is not “out of range”. Because I have a lot of knowledge on thyroid issues because of my own health issues, I know that .8 is going to the lower side which is where your level would go if you have hyperthyroidism. In the USA the low end of the TSH range is 0.4. Before your thyroid TSH level goes low enough to warrant concern by the doctor, you may already have high antibody levels causing health issues. I am really unsure if you are hyper and therefore just wanted to make sure you knew about this and how it could have been missed on testing. It is up to you whether or not you want to test and if you want to wait three months.
Having been diagnosed with Osteopenia, a doctor should be making sure that there is no “underlying” disease or condition causing this. I know we would all like to rely on doctors to know what they are doing and make correct diagnosis and run enough tests, but it does not always happen. So I would be asking the doctor or looking at test results to see what he has tested for and then “googling” causes of Osteopenia/Osteoporosis and making sure they have tested for everything.
As for the B12. Again with Vitamin D treatment, that level may have changed and might be higher. Obviously other countries do not agree with France on what the range “should be”. (I myself found this out through research.) So I was pointing that out to you because low B12 can cause issues too. There seems to be a connection with low B12 and Osteoporosis and they are also connected to low D.

Answered by  IAW on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions

December 21st is DDAY. Click here to celebrate the day with us!