VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
Reply To: Hello Vitamin D Council! This is a bit of a long story, so I will try to keep it brief and clear at the same time. November of last year I noticed I was having extremely sore and weak muscles. I had trouble breathing and lots of inflammation. I had gone to the ER twice without a diagnoses, until eventually my doctor ran a test for Vitamin D and my level was 15.8 ng/ml. Okay great, I started supplementing at 10,000 iu a day along with K2, 100mcg in the Biotech dry form. Along with that, plenty of Magensium, B12 drops, and calcium intake up to 1,000mg with food only. When I was tested again on Feb 18th, my levels were 51 ng/ml and I felt awesome. Except for this stomach pain that eventually evolved into chills and a fever. Back to the ER I went, only to find out my gallbladder was shot and needed to be removed ASAP before sepsis. So I had to go through surgery. Here's where my discomfort has persisted. After surgery, I was supplementing Magnesium and B12, and slowly eased back into Vit D knowing that my other levels were really low/deficient due to anesthesia and all the fluids they had me on. When I got tested again early April, I was back down to 38 ng/ml and went back to supplementing 10,000 iu daily with the 100mcg vitamin k2. I noticed I was having strange symptoms this time around, lots of jitteriness in my arms, legs, and mostly in my torso. It's gradually gotten worse some days, and then eases up others. I have upped my dosage of Magnesium within the last four weeks to 400mg ( Magnesium Glycinate tablets -200mg, Ancient Minerals Mag lotion -200mg. ) I had stopped the B12 at one point because upon trying a higher dose pill, it made the jitters worse and when I got it tested the results came back "normal", but I also have also read that after surgery and anesthesia 'normal' results can still mean deficiency of B12 due to the nitrous oxide rendering some of it useless. So, I'm back to taking the lower dose drops again. Fast forward to June 5th, between sunlight and my supplementation, my levels were 72 ng/ml. I'm happy with that, so now I have dropped my dose to 7,000 iu a day ( I am about 206lbs female ). My issue is, I still have the jitters. It's almost an every day occurrence. They are not as pronounced some days as they are others. I have even had one extremely scary night where I woke up to "electric shocks" over my body. I read that it CAN be a sign of needing more B12, but I'm not sure. I know Magnesium and B12 both influence the nerves. My question is, how long can it take to really get over this Vitamin D deficiency's side effects, and perhaps even a Magnesium deficiency and B12 as well, even with my higher doses? I thought maybe it was a hormonal imbalance brought on by the deficiency, or adrenal fatigue, because I have not had a period in several months after coming off Depo Provera, but the progesterone pill I just tried gave me terrible anxiety last night. I don't plan to take another.

Home Forums Ask the Vitamin D Council Hello Vitamin D Council! This is a bit of a long story, so I will try to keep it brief and clear at the same time. November of last year I noticed I was having extremely sore and weak muscles. I had trouble breathing and lots of inflammation. I had gone to the ER twice without a diagnoses, until eventually my doctor ran a test for Vitamin D and my level was 15.8 ng/ml. Okay great, I started supplementing at 10,000 iu a day along with K2, 100mcg in the Biotech dry form. Along with that, plenty of Magensium, B12 drops, and calcium intake up to 1,000mg with food only. When I was tested again on Feb 18th, my levels were 51 ng/ml and I felt awesome. Except for this stomach pain that eventually evolved into chills and a fever. Back to the ER I went, only to find out my gallbladder was shot and needed to be removed ASAP before sepsis. So I had to go through surgery. Here's where my discomfort has persisted. After surgery, I was supplementing Magnesium and B12, and slowly eased back into Vit D knowing that my other levels were really low/deficient due to anesthesia and all the fluids they had me on. When I got tested again early April, I was back down to 38 ng/ml and went back to supplementing 10,000 iu daily with the 100mcg vitamin k2. I noticed I was having strange symptoms this time around, lots of jitteriness in my arms, legs, and mostly in my torso. It's gradually gotten worse some days, and then eases up others. I have upped my dosage of Magnesium within the last four weeks to 400mg ( Magnesium Glycinate tablets -200mg, Ancient Minerals Mag lotion -200mg. ) I had stopped the B12 at one point because upon trying a higher dose pill, it made the jitters worse and when I got it tested the results came back "normal", but I also have also read that after surgery and anesthesia 'normal' results can still mean deficiency of B12 due to the nitrous oxide rendering some of it useless. So, I'm back to taking the lower dose drops again. Fast forward to June 5th, between sunlight and my supplementation, my levels were 72 ng/ml. I'm happy with that, so now I have dropped my dose to 7,000 iu a day ( I am about 206lbs female ). My issue is, I still have the jitters. It's almost an every day occurrence. They are not as pronounced some days as they are others. I have even had one extremely scary night where I woke up to "electric shocks" over my body. I read that it CAN be a sign of needing more B12, but I'm not sure. I know Magnesium and B12 both influence the nerves. My question is, how long can it take to really get over this Vitamin D deficiency's side effects, and perhaps even a Magnesium deficiency and B12 as well, even with my higher doses? I thought maybe it was a hormonal imbalance brought on by the deficiency, or adrenal fatigue, because I have not had a period in several months after coming off Depo Provera, but the progesterone pill I just tried gave me terrible anxiety last night. I don't plan to take another. Reply To: Hello Vitamin D Council! This is a bit of a long story, so I will try to keep it brief and clear at the same time. November of last year I noticed I was having extremely sore and weak muscles. I had trouble breathing and lots of inflammation. I had gone to the ER twice without a diagnoses, until eventually my doctor ran a test for Vitamin D and my level was 15.8 ng/ml. Okay great, I started supplementing at 10,000 iu a day along with K2, 100mcg in the Biotech dry form. Along with that, plenty of Magensium, B12 drops, and calcium intake up to 1,000mg with food only. When I was tested again on Feb 18th, my levels were 51 ng/ml and I felt awesome. Except for this stomach pain that eventually evolved into chills and a fever. Back to the ER I went, only to find out my gallbladder was shot and needed to be removed ASAP before sepsis. So I had to go through surgery. Here's where my discomfort has persisted. After surgery, I was supplementing Magnesium and B12, and slowly eased back into Vit D knowing that my other levels were really low/deficient due to anesthesia and all the fluids they had me on. When I got tested again early April, I was back down to 38 ng/ml and went back to supplementing 10,000 iu daily with the 100mcg vitamin k2. I noticed I was having strange symptoms this time around, lots of jitteriness in my arms, legs, and mostly in my torso. It's gradually gotten worse some days, and then eases up others. I have upped my dosage of Magnesium within the last four weeks to 400mg ( Magnesium Glycinate tablets -200mg, Ancient Minerals Mag lotion -200mg. ) I had stopped the B12 at one point because upon trying a higher dose pill, it made the jitters worse and when I got it tested the results came back "normal", but I also have also read that after surgery and anesthesia 'normal' results can still mean deficiency of B12 due to the nitrous oxide rendering some of it useless. So, I'm back to taking the lower dose drops again. Fast forward to June 5th, between sunlight and my supplementation, my levels were 72 ng/ml. I'm happy with that, so now I have dropped my dose to 7,000 iu a day ( I am about 206lbs female ). My issue is, I still have the jitters. It's almost an every day occurrence. They are not as pronounced some days as they are others. I have even had one extremely scary night where I woke up to "electric shocks" over my body. I read that it CAN be a sign of needing more B12, but I'm not sure. I know Magnesium and B12 both influence the nerves. My question is, how long can it take to really get over this Vitamin D deficiency's side effects, and perhaps even a Magnesium deficiency and B12 as well, even with my higher doses? I thought maybe it was a hormonal imbalance brought on by the deficiency, or adrenal fatigue, because I have not had a period in several months after coming off Depo Provera, but the progesterone pill I just tried gave me terrible anxiety last night. I don't plan to take another.

IAW on

When things get complicated, I always warn people I am not a doctor.
If your gallbladder was removed than the vitamins in jeopardy are the fat soluble and are A, D, E and K. At http://www.livestrong.com/article/363746-what-vitamin-deficiencies-cause-tremors/, one of them mentioned is E. So your D level at the moment is good, you are taking B12 and that level was OK, are you still taking K2, and you have magnesium covered and that leaves us with A and E. Tremors are mentioned under E. In that article it also mentions B6 and B1 but these are not fat soluble vitamins. I do know, though, that Vitamin D can make any of the B vitamins go low and that is not widely known. Internet also says low E can cause hair loss and hormonal imbalance which might cause the weight gain.
Did you just have a TSH test done or did you have a Free T4 and Free T3 levels done? Did you have any thyroid antibody testing done?
Internet also says that “Depo-Provera use may decrease the amount of calcium in your bones.” I did not look up the “why” on that but if it did this to you and you are now taking Vitamin D, the Vitamin D is what helps calcium absorb from the intestines and Vitamin K helps calcium move to bone. If there is any chance that your body is now trying to re-mineralize your bones, then you could have hypocalcemia. Is your intake of calcium still “high”?

Answered by  IAW on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions

December 21st is DDAY. Click here to celebrate the day with us!