VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
Reply To: Hello. Please can you help me. I tested my D levels recently and it’s currently 41,7ng/ml after supplementing 5-6000iu daily for 3+ years. I wanted this in a more optimal range so used an online calculator with my weight (217lbs) and goal of 60ng/ml and was told to take 53x5000iu tablets over 10 days. I figured taking them all in one dose with a meal wouldn’t cause any harm so took them. Totalling 270,000 iu. My question is, do I continue to take the 5-6000/day to maintain, or would I need slightly more? I plan on testing again in 2 months, but am willing to test sooner if it would be better? I want to ensure I don’t harm myself by continuing to raise the levels, only to maintain it. Thank you in advance. David

Home Forums Ask the Vitamin D Council Hello. Please can you help me. I tested my D levels recently and it’s currently 41,7ng/ml after supplementing 5-6000iu daily for 3+ years. I wanted this in a more optimal range so used an online calculator with my weight (217lbs) and goal of 60ng/ml and was told to take 53x5000iu tablets over 10 days. I figured taking them all in one dose with a meal wouldn’t cause any harm so took them. Totalling 270,000 iu. My question is, do I continue to take the 5-6000/day to maintain, or would I need slightly more? I plan on testing again in 2 months, but am willing to test sooner if it would be better? I want to ensure I don’t harm myself by continuing to raise the levels, only to maintain it. Thank you in advance. David Reply To: Hello. Please can you help me. I tested my D levels recently and it’s currently 41,7ng/ml after supplementing 5-6000iu daily for 3+ years. I wanted this in a more optimal range so used an online calculator with my weight (217lbs) and goal of 60ng/ml and was told to take 53x5000iu tablets over 10 days. I figured taking them all in one dose with a meal wouldn’t cause any harm so took them. Totalling 270,000 iu. My question is, do I continue to take the 5-6000/day to maintain, or would I need slightly more? I plan on testing again in 2 months, but am willing to test sooner if it would be better? I want to ensure I don’t harm myself by continuing to raise the levels, only to maintain it. Thank you in advance. David

IAW on

Hi!
I so wished you had asked me the question first instead of taking the 270,000iu.
A ‘general rule of thumb’ is for every 10ng/ml you would like to increase your level, take 1000iu more. For you that would mean 6000iu + 2000iu=8000iu. Weight is a factor in Vitamin D. So the reason your level did not rise enough is because 5000iu is based on a person weighing 150lbs. For every 25lbs over this add another 1000iu. Your dosage should have been 8000iu as a maintenance dosage. Also anytime you change the amount you take, you must then wait 8 weeks until you retest.
I now feel obligated to give you the symptoms of Hypercalcemia.
The symptoms of hypercalcemia include: feeling sick or being sick, poor appetite or loss of appetite, feeling very thirsty, passing urine often, constipation or diarrhea, abdominal pain, muscle weakness or pain, feeling confused, feeling tired and bone pain. If you get any of these symptoms you have to stop all vitamin d until you get better.
Since you took the high amount, here are my suggestions. You could stop taking anymore and get tested right now. If your level is “really high”, it takes two to three weeks for that level to drop to half of what it was. For example you tested tomorrow and the results are 200ng/ml. In 2 weeks your level should be 100ng/ml and in another two weeks it should be 50ng/ml. At that point resume a higher daily amount of 8000iu. Then at some point but minimum 8 weeks, retest to make sure you reached your goal of 60ng/ml.
Second suggestion is this. The 270,000-265,000 divided over 30 days is like an average of 8000-9000iu. In this instance do not take any more for 30 days and then restart at higher daily amount and 8 weeks from then, retest.
Third you can retest at any point but I am trying to save you some money.
Do you have any medical issues, please let me know before you do anything else suggested above?

Answered by  IAW on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions

December 21st is DDAY. Click here to celebrate the day with us!