VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
Reply To: Dear Vitamin D Committee, hello, I am Dr. Juan José De Hoyos, I have two children with autism, one of 7 years old and another of 3, weighing respectively 17 and 15 kilos. They have been taking vitamin D3 plus supplement for a month. We started with half a capsule for each one week and we went up to one capsule for each one since then. We have already taken a total of 1 month and we have noticed some small favorable changes. But I have a couple of doubts: – The older we have noticed that he has lost part of the appetite that may be due to the supplement – on the other hand noticed that there has been no improvement in the sleep of the child who has significant problems to fall asleep. You can answer these questions thank you

Home Forums Ask the Vitamin D Council Dear Vitamin D Committee, hello, I am Dr. Juan José De Hoyos, I have two children with autism, one of 7 years old and another of 3, weighing respectively 17 and 15 kilos. They have been taking vitamin D3 plus supplement for a month. We started with half a capsule for each one week and we went up to one capsule for each one since then. We have already taken a total of 1 month and we have noticed some small favorable changes. But I have a couple of doubts: – The older we have noticed that he has lost part of the appetite that may be due to the supplement – on the other hand noticed that there has been no improvement in the sleep of the child who has significant problems to fall asleep. You can answer these questions thank you Reply To: Dear Vitamin D Committee, hello, I am Dr. Juan José De Hoyos, I have two children with autism, one of 7 years old and another of 3, weighing respectively 17 and 15 kilos. They have been taking vitamin D3 plus supplement for a month. We started with half a capsule for each one week and we went up to one capsule for each one since then. We have already taken a total of 1 month and we have noticed some small favorable changes. But I have a couple of doubts: – The older we have noticed that he has lost part of the appetite that may be due to the supplement – on the other hand noticed that there has been no improvement in the sleep of the child who has significant problems to fall asleep. You can answer these questions thank you

IAW on

Let me first say that for Autistic children the VDC recommends beginning with 150 IU/pound/day for treatment. Then obtain a 25(OH)D Vitamin D test in two months. Adjust the dose until their 25(OH)D level is around 70-80 ng/ml.
Since they are both really close in weight, at the moment, this would equal starting them at 5000 iu a day. (37lbs X 150iu = 5550) If either gains a lot of weight you will eventually have to recalculate in order to keep their level high enough.
There is 2500 iu of Vitamin D in one capsule of the “Plus” so you will have to supplement this with plain Vitamin D. If you give them 2 “Plus” capsules the “other ingredients” will be too much for such young children. You will either need to find a 3000 iu capsule OR 1000 iu capsules or drops and give 3. The total will then be 5500 iu A DAY but I would not worry about the extra 500iu.
We usually say to obtain a Vitamin D test before you even start but since you already started them on Vitamin D we will skip this part. Even though they have had Vitamin D for an entire month, I would not start the 2 months (8 weeks) to be tested, until they are given the full 5500iu.
The reason for not having better sleep is probably just the fact the child is not getting enough Vitamin D yet and hopefully that will change with the increased amount of D and length of time taken.
You also stated that your other child appears to have “lost part of the appetite”. Hypercalcemia can cause this symptom. The only way to know if this is the case would be to do a calcium blood test to see if the levels are “high”. The symptoms of hypercalcemia include: feeling sick or being sick, poor appetite or loss of appetite, feeling very thirsty, passing urine often, constipation or diarrhea, abdominal pain, muscle weakness or pain, feeling confused, feeling tired and bone pain. Have you noticed any of these other symptoms? If it is not this, then perhaps increasing the Vitamin D eventually may change this. I am not a doctor, so I am unsure. Can I assume you are a “medical” doctor and could check the calcium levels?
If you have more questions or are unclear, please ask!

Answered by  IAW on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions

December 21st is DDAY. Click here to celebrate the day with us!