VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
Reply To: I tested at 33ng/ml and started taking 10,000 of D3. After 7 weeks I retested and I am at 60 ng/ml. I weight 135 pounds. What should my maintenance dose be? Also, I started this regime because I have inflammatory auto-immune condition, and also a chronic hamstring tendenosis for three years. I heard vitamin D can help those conditions. How long does it usually take to see if D will improve these conditions. Thanks.

Home Forums Ask the Vitamin D Council I tested at 33ng/ml and started taking 10,000 of D3. After 7 weeks I retested and I am at 60 ng/ml. I weight 135 pounds. What should my maintenance dose be? Also, I started this regime because I have inflammatory auto-immune condition, and also a chronic hamstring tendenosis for three years. I heard vitamin D can help those conditions. How long does it usually take to see if D will improve these conditions. Thanks. Reply To: I tested at 33ng/ml and started taking 10,000 of D3. After 7 weeks I retested and I am at 60 ng/ml. I weight 135 pounds. What should my maintenance dose be? Also, I started this regime because I have inflammatory auto-immune condition, and also a chronic hamstring tendenosis for three years. I heard vitamin D can help those conditions. How long does it usually take to see if D will improve these conditions. Thanks.

IAW on

I reread and looked at a calendar. If the following does not seem correct, let me know.
Your starting level without any (or very little) Vitamin D was 33ng/ml.
You then took 10K of Vitamin D for 7 weeks and your level was 60ng/ml.
You stayed on the 10K for about another 3 1/2 weeks.
Then you started taking 5K and at about 5 1/2 weeks, on the 23rd of Jan, your level is 57ng/ml. So if your were to retest at the 8 week mark, on the 5K that level will now be lower and I have no idea how much lower. Just an FYI. If you stopped taking any Vitamin D and you did not get any sunshine, levels will decrease by 1/2 every two weeks. Maybe that will help put this in perspective.
When the VDC recommends a level of 50ng/ml, it is to keep healthy people “healthy”. If you are already in a “disease state”, no one knows how much Vitamin D “may” cure it. The research right now is not in “cures” everyone is still arguing how much to keep you healthy. (For example there are many scientific studies that show the higher your Vitamin D level, the less incidence of cancer. There are studies that show if you already have cancer, your “outcome” is better if you have higher levels of Vitamin D. There are no studies that show if you give someone “X” amount of Vitamin D, you can cure them. The closest thing we have at the moment is a doctor, in South America, that is curing Multiple Sclerosis with “extremely” high amounts of Vitamin D.) In a sense you are “on your own” if you want to try and “cure” yourself with Vitamin D.
Now I think you are also under the impression that if you were to keep taking the 10K, that your levels will just keep rising and rising. That is where the 8 weeks come in. At that point the “ins and outs” should equal and your level “does not” continue to rise. If your 60ng/ml level on 10K really was tested at 6-7 weeks, I would have to “guess” and say maybe you would have made it to 70 but then again maybe it will still have read 60ng/ml. If at 8 weeks it still read 60, then my guess would have been that in your “disease state” you are using up a lot of Vitamin D because really on 10K your level should have been much higher.
So to recap it may take higher amounts of Vitamin D, over longer periods of time, to affect a “cure”. If you actually cure yourself, then maybe at some point you can take less Vitamin D and still stay well.
I think if you continue the 10K right now, that your level is not going to reach 100 but will hopefully be around 80.
So now that it is late in the winter, in March you can “technically” make Vitamin D outside but it takes a little longer than in summer. My suggestion might be to not cut back on the Vitamin D. Take the 10K. Keep taking it and get some sunshine and see if symptoms change. If they do then it is actually something other than UVB that is helping OR you really need a lot more than 10K to affect a change.
If you can get really serious over the spring or especially the summer, where you strip most of your clothes off, lie horizontal in the sun for 30 minutes or more at noon, then come back and tell me. I will rethink the 10K at that point. Just so you know, I am not a doctor. As long as you do not get any symptoms of hypercalcemia, you are fine.
You can ask me as many questions as you like. I hope someday you come back and post again and this time it will be your “success story”!

Answered by  IAW on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions

December 21st is DDAY. Click here to celebrate the day with us!