VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
Reply To: I'm a 29 year old female with a Vitamin D level of 9. Yeah, you didn't read it incorrectly- it's a 9 (nine). I've been very depressed for 8-9 years and in the past 5-6 years, I've been mainly indoors. It also didn;t help that I began to free lance and spent most of my days asleep while working throughout the entire night on the computer. I started to hate going out and even hating the sun. My depressive condition did not get better either- in spite of being medicated. My symptoms kept progressing: loss of hair, weak legs, aching muscles, etc. I kept getting waved off into a different type of antidepressant Rx- none of them worked. Finally, after getting my yearly PAP test, my doctor suggested that I get blood work done for all of my hormones, thyroid, Vitamin D, Iron, etc. Sure enough, I'm very low in the Vitamin D department. She suggested that I see my GP but, he's totally booked until 2018… In the mean time she suggested that I take 3000 IU of Vitamin D3 supplements. So far, I haven't noticed that much of a difference. I do have chronic lower back pain and it was really bad this past week but, I forced myself to sit in the shade midday for 30 minutes (I'm in between fair and light toned) and my back somehow feels a bit better. Could be coincidence but, who knows. Also, my hair doesn't fall out in chunks. I'm going to keep getting some sun on my skin and I'll report back. Anyways, is level 9 really bad? I'm worried sick that I have severe bone loss or have "jelly bones" (softening of the bones) considering that I'm sure I've been deficient for several year now. Has anyone in their 20s had low levels like mine and lost (a lot of) bone mass due to it? Does softening of the bones change your physically anatomy? (Like legs bending in like people who had/have rickets) Thanks.

Home Forums Ask the Vitamin D Council I'm a 29 year old female with a Vitamin D level of 9. Yeah, you didn't read it incorrectly- it's a 9 (nine). I've been very depressed for 8-9 years and in the past 5-6 years, I've been mainly indoors. It also didn;t help that I began to free lance and spent most of my days asleep while working throughout the entire night on the computer. I started to hate going out and even hating the sun. My depressive condition did not get better either- in spite of being medicated. My symptoms kept progressing: loss of hair, weak legs, aching muscles, etc. I kept getting waved off into a different type of antidepressant Rx- none of them worked. Finally, after getting my yearly PAP test, my doctor suggested that I get blood work done for all of my hormones, thyroid, Vitamin D, Iron, etc. Sure enough, I'm very low in the Vitamin D department. She suggested that I see my GP but, he's totally booked until 2018… In the mean time she suggested that I take 3000 IU of Vitamin D3 supplements. So far, I haven't noticed that much of a difference. I do have chronic lower back pain and it was really bad this past week but, I forced myself to sit in the shade midday for 30 minutes (I'm in between fair and light toned) and my back somehow feels a bit better. Could be coincidence but, who knows. Also, my hair doesn't fall out in chunks. I'm going to keep getting some sun on my skin and I'll report back. Anyways, is level 9 really bad? I'm worried sick that I have severe bone loss or have "jelly bones" (softening of the bones) considering that I'm sure I've been deficient for several year now. Has anyone in their 20s had low levels like mine and lost (a lot of) bone mass due to it? Does softening of the bones change your physically anatomy? (Like legs bending in like people who had/have rickets) Thanks. Reply To: I'm a 29 year old female with a Vitamin D level of 9. Yeah, you didn't read it incorrectly- it's a 9 (nine). I've been very depressed for 8-9 years and in the past 5-6 years, I've been mainly indoors. It also didn;t help that I began to free lance and spent most of my days asleep while working throughout the entire night on the computer. I started to hate going out and even hating the sun. My depressive condition did not get better either- in spite of being medicated. My symptoms kept progressing: loss of hair, weak legs, aching muscles, etc. I kept getting waved off into a different type of antidepressant Rx- none of them worked. Finally, after getting my yearly PAP test, my doctor suggested that I get blood work done for all of my hormones, thyroid, Vitamin D, Iron, etc. Sure enough, I'm very low in the Vitamin D department. She suggested that I see my GP but, he's totally booked until 2018… In the mean time she suggested that I take 3000 IU of Vitamin D3 supplements. So far, I haven't noticed that much of a difference. I do have chronic lower back pain and it was really bad this past week but, I forced myself to sit in the shade midday for 30 minutes (I'm in between fair and light toned) and my back somehow feels a bit better. Could be coincidence but, who knows. Also, my hair doesn't fall out in chunks. I'm going to keep getting some sun on my skin and I'll report back. Anyways, is level 9 really bad? I'm worried sick that I have severe bone loss or have "jelly bones" (softening of the bones) considering that I'm sure I've been deficient for several year now. Has anyone in their 20s had low levels like mine and lost (a lot of) bone mass due to it? Does softening of the bones change your physically anatomy? (Like legs bending in like people who had/have rickets) Thanks.

honeytoast on

***For some reason, my reply didn’t post***

I’m feeling much better. I haven’t had this much energy in years. I haven’t experienced anything negative so, that’s good. As crazy as this may sound; I feel like my bones have gotten solid/harder? Before, I would ring out the kitchen towel and my bones felt like it was like taffy. As if I could feel the tension but, it no longer feels that way when I’m gripping or twisting items. I also noticed the elasticity of my skin has changed too. I thought I had just loss elasticity due to premature menopause but, it’s not that. (Did bloodwork for hormones too and it all came back in the normal range.)

Thanks again. I’ll just cutback then. (I read your other responses and you mentioned the ‘life’ of VD3.)

I’m still shocked by how fast my levels shot up. I’ve read so many people having issues getting their levels up. I wonder if it has anything to do with metabolism? I tested mine and my metabolism is very high. (I get hungry within 30-40 minutes of eating and it’s always been difficult to gain weight.)

Will cut back -as you’ve suggested- and then test again in 2 more weeks and will update again.

Answered by  honeytoast on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions

December 21st is DDAY. Click here to celebrate the day with us!