VDC test kit slider
VDC-Banner-new_468
Reply To: Hi there! I'm writing from São Paulo, Brazil. I started supplementing vitamin D3 back in July 1st, 2015. From very early on I started alternating between 7,000 IU and 10,000 IU per day. I had my blood level checked on October 1st, 2015 and it was 52.4 ng/mL. From then on, I started taking mostly 10,000 IU after the main meal in the evenings and, on April 27th, 2016, I had my blood level checked again and it had risen to 64.2 ng/mL. I was pleased that I had succeeded in boosting my 25(OH) vitamin D blood level. I have recently had a blood test (December 10th, 2016) and, to my surprise, it has gone up to 86.8 ng/mL! I am a little concerned about it because, although the normal range is 30 ng/mL to 100 ng/mL (according to the laboratory) and there are no known cases of toxicity up to 150 ng/mL, the increase rate between tests has doubled over a similar period of time. The bottom line is I do not know whether or not my blood level has plateaued and it will not rise even if I carry on taking 10,000 IU per day. What if it has not plateaued yet and it will keep rising if I carry on taking 10,000 IU per day? It might easily rise above 100 ng/mL and that is really worrying. How should I go about supplementing vitamin D from now on?

Home Forums Ask the Vitamin D Council Hi there! I'm writing from São Paulo, Brazil. I started supplementing vitamin D3 back in July 1st, 2015. From very early on I started alternating between 7,000 IU and 10,000 IU per day. I had my blood level checked on October 1st, 2015 and it was 52.4 ng/mL. From then on, I started taking mostly 10,000 IU after the main meal in the evenings and, on April 27th, 2016, I had my blood level checked again and it had risen to 64.2 ng/mL. I was pleased that I had succeeded in boosting my 25(OH) vitamin D blood level. I have recently had a blood test (December 10th, 2016) and, to my surprise, it has gone up to 86.8 ng/mL! I am a little concerned about it because, although the normal range is 30 ng/mL to 100 ng/mL (according to the laboratory) and there are no known cases of toxicity up to 150 ng/mL, the increase rate between tests has doubled over a similar period of time. The bottom line is I do not know whether or not my blood level has plateaued and it will not rise even if I carry on taking 10,000 IU per day. What if it has not plateaued yet and it will keep rising if I carry on taking 10,000 IU per day? It might easily rise above 100 ng/mL and that is really worrying. How should I go about supplementing vitamin D from now on? Reply To: Hi there! I'm writing from São Paulo, Brazil. I started supplementing vitamin D3 back in July 1st, 2015. From very early on I started alternating between 7,000 IU and 10,000 IU per day. I had my blood level checked on October 1st, 2015 and it was 52.4 ng/mL. From then on, I started taking mostly 10,000 IU after the main meal in the evenings and, on April 27th, 2016, I had my blood level checked again and it had risen to 64.2 ng/mL. I was pleased that I had succeeded in boosting my 25(OH) vitamin D blood level. I have recently had a blood test (December 10th, 2016) and, to my surprise, it has gone up to 86.8 ng/mL! I am a little concerned about it because, although the normal range is 30 ng/mL to 100 ng/mL (according to the laboratory) and there are no known cases of toxicity up to 150 ng/mL, the increase rate between tests has doubled over a similar period of time. The bottom line is I do not know whether or not my blood level has plateaued and it will not rise even if I carry on taking 10,000 IU per day. What if it has not plateaued yet and it will keep rising if I carry on taking 10,000 IU per day? It might easily rise above 100 ng/mL and that is really worrying. How should I go about supplementing vitamin D from now on?

IAW on

Some things can only be a “guess”.
Maybe there is some “sunshine” in your latest measurement of 86ng/ml? Although you can make Vitamin D all year long in Brazil, it does take less time during the months from March thru October, then from November thru February. Sunshine will add to the levels.
If your starting level was really low (and you may not have known what it was before supplementing), then you might have had a lot of “repair work” to do and your body used up more in the beginning and does not need as much now.
If you have had any weight loss, that could be a factor also.
A rough estimate is for every 1000iu, your levels will raise about 10ng/ml.
So you could go back to “alternating” and take 8000iu one day and 10,000iu the next. If you can get adequate sunshine sometimes, than you could “skip” a day of supplements. If you can fairly regular sunshine but maybe not enough, then you should take less supplements.

Answered by  IAW on

Recent Discussion

Popular Questions

December 21st is DDAY. Click here to celebrate the day with us!