Vitamin D Newsletter
Donate $100 or more...
...and receive an autographed and dedicated copy of Dr. Cannell's new book.
How to get your vitamin D
"Humans make thousands of units of vitamin D within minutes of whole body exposure to sunlight. From what we know of nature, it is unlikely such a system evolved by chance."
- John Cannell MD, Executive Director, Vitamin D Council.
There are only two ways to receive vitamin D in the amounts necessary for proper health: Ultraviolet B (UVB) exposure and vitamin D supplementation. Diet should not be considered a satisfactory source of vitamin D. The few foods which do contain vitamin D, contain too little to be of any noticeable benefit. 1 2
- Ultraviolet B (UVB) exposure - Sun exposure should be your method of choice for getting vitamin D. Learn about the factors which influence vitamin D production from sunlight and how to make the most of your time in the sun.
- Vitamin D supplementation - Information supplementing with vitamin D3. Learn why the amount recommended by the US government is not enough to receive the full health benefits of vitamin D.
Page last edited: 21 September 2011
- Chan J., Jaceldo-Siegl K., Fraser G.E. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D status of vegetarians, partial vegetarians, and nonvegetarians: the Adventist Health Study-2. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 May; 89 (5): 1686S-1692S.
- Välimäki VV, Löyttyniemi E, Välimäki MJ Vitamin D fortification of milk products does not resolve hypovitaminosis D in young Finnish men. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2007 Apr; 61 (4): 493-7.